AutoDesSys

New update 9.0.6

Jaakko

"Check for update" now shows 9.0.6 as available. Please note that we always wait 24-48 hours after posting a new version before updating the "check for update" notification just to be sure the distribution is sound before mass installations begin. You can always install the latest version from the link you received with your latest license codes. 

Here are the highlights of this version. form•Z v9.0.6 (#A283):

New stuff
SKP translator updated to import/export SketchUp 2020 files. Plus these improvements:
- Import performance significantly improved. 
- Objects will be surfaces by default unless “Construct Solids” is enabled (which is now on by default for new installations). 
- Import now maintains layers and materials properly. 
- Non-Roman characters in file names now supported for import and export.
- Non-Roman characters in layer name and Material names are now supported.
- Import now includes wire objects.
- Exporting files with metric units works as expected.

General
Contour Sections no longer affected by manipulating corresponding Transform Controller
Conflicts resolved that could cause Key Shortcuts to stop working.
Arc 3 can be inverted with the CMD/Ctrl (Mac/Win) key.
Objects created by Duplicate (Edit menu) remain selected.
Reference Files window displays correct name.
DXF export and import now supports Non-Roman characters in the file name.
Exporting DAE and KMZ files works properly

Windows
Check for Update works as expected no on systems with certain Windows settings.
Alt key tap key works as expected

Draft Layout
Grid Snap now works as expected when combined with the Guide snap

Python scripting
unfold.py script now works as expected.
Scripts are maintained in the Extensions menu and are sorted properly.
The getLayer() and setLayer object method have been improved.

Additional performance and stability improvements.

I seem to have issues deleting geometry with this version. Selecting an object and hitting de delete key, doesn't seem to work.

More alarming, and definitely needing a fix: 99% of my 2D plans saved as a layer inside my model have disappeared. Yes, disappeared! PLEASE FIX THIS.

I reverted to the previous version. Cannot work without my 2D cad plan layers.

Windows 10.

Edited by allanjl

3 hours ago, allanjl said:

More alarming, and definitely needing a fix: 99% of my 2D plans saved as a layer inside my model have disappeared. Yes, disappeared! PLEASE FIX THIS.

I concur allanjl, the same is happening to me regarding the missing 2d info in my files.

I got a big shock this morning when I went to work on my current jobs with v9.0.6 and all the 2d info was gone!

On a mac using macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Otherwise this version seems good but like allanjl I have to revert to the previous version which sucks.

Des

It seems that the missing 2d info is only effecting imported 2d and not 2d drawn in FormZ.

Re-importing the 2d info works. The problem with that is re-positioning.

Update:

Actually, even re-imported 2d geometry is missing when saved and reopened so a real bummer..

Edited by Des

14 hours ago, santa said:

Unfortunately, that's not a solution to potential new users, who we desperately need! They will run a mile after experiencing this. First impressions do count!

I don't see FZ as ever being more than a niche company. They just don't have the developmental or marketing dollars to compete with the big boys, and I don't think they have anything special a larger company might consider buying out. My employer dictates that I use it, and I am ok with that. It's a decent software and for the most part I can do my work. However, If I had my choice I would not be using it. I'm not being harsh it's just my honest opinion. Since I started using FZ with V7 it seems to follow the same pattern that it takes a while for them to get it sorted out. With that being said everyone stay safe and happy holidays.

I'm still having some painful issues with v9 and this release seems no different.

The Cone of Vision is still very buggy and basically broken to the point of being unusable.  Launching and exiting the COV takes an absurd amount of time and the View parameters palette doesn't update to the selected views making it worthless.

This painful, new Inspector palette still acts up when docked in the sidebar.  It won't stay collapsed, and it changes it's docked location upon restart.  It's a super buggy implementation for a fix of a problem that never existed.  Please give us a way to revert back to v8 type where these tools were integrated in the Tool Options palette!  The last thing FormZ needs is another palette!  Less is more!   I don't know who asked for this, but it's not helpful, and only hurting the overall FormZ experience!

I know that v9 was a total rewrite on a new core and it has a lot of under the hood improvements.  But what we are experiencing using it is anything but improvements.  The new UI is still very buggy when trying to do the customization allowed by FormZ.  Either fix it or remove the ability to customize and deal with us complaining about the poor default UI setup.  Long term FormZ supporters like myself have created custom FormZ UI's for dozens of years and are used to the quirks of the FormZ, but this newest implementation needs a closer look.

I've already contacted support over this. But I thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue. 2D reference objects in previous projects do not show up on v. 9.0.6. They're simply gone. Their layers are still there, but the 2D geometry is gone.

The V8 interface was a mess!  V9 seemed like a good idea, but they seemed to give up halfway through the design. 

The screenshot I attached shows what happens whenever I open something in full screen like a Steam game and leave Z open in the background, blank! Even resetting the workspace doesn't fix it.  It's a restart.  And don't get me started on the Inspector window popup, ridiculous!

screen-3.jpg

Thanks so much to all you guys who are effectively beta testers. I am watching from a distance because as far as I am concerned it is very clear that V9 continues to remain at the 'beta' stage. So pleased Autodessys is holding back on the publicity at the moment because it would have resulted in bad press. I do look forward to V9 maturing into a solid version eventually.

Analogy: Super-car with faulty brakes.

Edited by Alan Cooper
Addition.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:33 AM, Alan Cooper said:

Thanks so much to all you guys who are effectively beta testers. I am watching from a distance because as far as I am concerned it is very clear that V9 continues to remain at the 'beta' stage. So pleased Autodessys is holding back on the publicity at the moment because it would have resulted in bad press. I do look forward to V9 maturing into a solid version eventually.

Analogy: Super-car with faulty brakes.

"Thanks so much to all you guys who are effectively beta testers"

...and who effectively paid for the privilege.