AutoDesSys

form•Z 8.6 Update Released

Tech

Windows app only install?

k, tried several times to update with app only install; including d/ling again, and repair install..... It does NOT update my v 8.6.0.2 to latest v 8.6.0.3!

Downloaded Full install and updated .... Update worked.

The digital signature on 'Install_formZ_86_Pro_64_AO.exe' is dated yesterday (19th) but I can only assume it's the wrong installer?

Martin

Edited by Martin Malinski

Martin,

We are investigating the possibility that Windows is getting confused about the the "installer ownership" of the application when switching between the full installer and the App only installer.  Try to delete the /program files/formZ 8/formZ 86 pro 64/ folder and re-install.

Hi,

Yes, I gave up on the app only update; re-named my formz 8 folder with suffix old. D/l'd full install and installed.... it worked. (8.6.0.3)

The only addition in my original formz 8 folder was the plug-ins folder with an expired vray trial inside..... But, on my final attempt to install with the app only I removed the plugins with vray folder. Still didn't update (even tho' it completed the process of an update....)

I did check (with my limited knowledge) what files had been updated by the app only install, in the 8.6 pro folder. I could find only one item had been updated. support>launch.exe     ...All other items were still dated in the file listing as mid Feb... Which was my previous update.

Martin.

Edited by Martin Malinski

Hello Tech

Hello Support

Hello Formz

That a new «general update» comes out at the end of this month (as mentioned just above) is finally good news.

I beg you urgent to finally get started now and tiden up the so confused situation:

1) Mini-Updates, which are not precisely defined on your download site – and still have a big impact.
2) A user interface, whose faultiness is nothing to compare on the market.
And last but not least 3) A communication policy, that really tugs at the patience of many of us users.

Please, please: Finally clear up, there on the 3518 Riverside Drive..!

Best greetings from Switzerland, old Europe – Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew,

Without seeing your roof, can you construct a symmetrical version of your roof, then use the extend tool to match another surface you know is correct. This is a long shot but I use the extend tool extensively.  :) 

Hope this helps,

Joe 

Hello Tech

Hello Support

Hello Formz

That a new «general update» comes out at the end of this month (as mentioned just above) is finally good news.

I beg you urgent to finally get started now and tiden up the so confused situation:

1) Mini-Updates, which are not precisely defined on your download site – and still have a big impact.
2) A user interface, whose faultiness is nothing to compare on the market.
And last but not least 3) A communication policy, that really tugs at the patience of many of us users.

Please, please: Finally clear up, there on the 3518 Riverside Drive..!

Best greetings from Switzerland, old Europe – Cheers!

Really strange: The post from earlier 23. Mar 2018 with the announced «Genaral Update» seems to have been removed ...?!

Edited by AHDD Designer

We released v8.6.1 today. You can update you installation from the links below:.

Click Here for formZ pro.
Click Here fo formZ jr.
Click here for formZ Student Edition.

Highlights of enhancements in v8.6.1:

• Enable Advanced OpenGL has been added to the OpenGL preferences (Edit->Preferences->OpenGL). This new option will enable the latest version of OpenGL available on your system. For many systems this will increase performance of the shaded and wireframe displays, however this option is not compatible with all graphics cards and drivers so it is off by default. On Mac OS, this option is only available for v10.10 or later.
• Copy and paste of objects with materials assigned to faces now works as expected.
• Repeat and continuous copy modes no longer display some objects in wireframe.
• Copy/paste then undo/redo components now work properly.
• Redo on any operation involving a component now maintains components properly.
• Support for Windows 10 improved.
• Certain Components with materials assigned to faces now work properly.
• Clicking in the materials palette when using the large icon option now works properly when the palette is tall and narrow.
• Undo files are more size efficient and less likely to become full and leave undo command dimmed.
• Palettes positioned at the edge of the screen are no longer clamped to the screen edge when form•Z is restarted.
• Dimensions and Notes now print at higher resolution.
• The display resolution is now maintained when two wire objects are joined.
• Changes to the animation options or tracks now refresh the shaded preview properly.
• A warning is now issued if the scratch disk location (preferences->scratch Disk->custom) is not accessible as this can disable Undo/Redo.
• Restoring 2-point perspective views in the view palette now works properly.
• In certain project files, renaming of materials now works.
• On Mac OS 10.13, the palettes no longer become semi-transparent and immobile when dragged from the palette dock on certain systems.
• The Layout Title block section of the Project Settings now works properly.

• Numerous stability and performance improvements.

ingoerik,

Thanks for your report. We were able to reproduce this problem on some (but not all) of our OS X machines (Windows tested OK).

The Lightwave translator was not changed in this version, however a behind the scenes change that did occur was the transition to new development tools from Apple. We have discovered that an optimizer setting in these new tools causes the resulting Lightwave plugin to malfunction. We have re-built this plugin without this optimizer setting and it now works properly. We have updated the installers with the new plugin. Please download and re-install and you should find that the problem is fixed.

I'm having a problem with the latest update. Here's how to recreate:

1. Create a cube

2. Select the Pick Tool and move the cube

Most times (not always) after releasing the mouse click, a wire frame is left in the moved position, and the the solid cube without it's frame is in the original (pre-moved) position. Weirdness ensues.

If after the move you do an undo then redo the cube, or any object, is positioned correctly with its frame.

Anyone else seeing this?

I uninstalled and reinstalled with no joy.

Windows 10 Pro 32 GB with Nvida  GTX 970 card

Thanks for looking into this...

I have keyboard shortcuts assigned to hide and show Layers, Lights, Materials and Views in the Palette Dock. Once the palettes have been hidden using shorcuts I'm no longer able to get them to reappear either by shortcuts or from the Pallettes Menu. Pro 8.6.1 (Build 10091). Mac OS X 10.9.5. MacbookPro  Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013.

I just tested RobertH's issue but I cannot reproduce.  Late 2013 MacBook Pro on 10.13.4

But I am re-producing GilZ's problem on the same system.  Any palette that is (by default) nested in the Palette Dock will not re-appear after it has been closed. 

The new OpenGL implementation is working vey well. The Shaded Full mode is fast. In fairly complex model I can turn all the features on and put quality sliders to 100% and it still doesen't slow down. Well done ADS :)

formZ 8.6.1, Win 10, GTX 1080

Glad to hear this is working well for you! We will make this the default in future versions once we are confident it is working well for most users. 

GilZ & snow

Thanks fo the report. We are looking into this! Seems to be OS X only and may depend on the OS X version.

Thanks Tech. I've had no OS X issues till this update and as snow's OS X version reveals it's happening on different OS versions. OS 10.9.5 and 10.13.4. 

Edited by GilZ

I just tested RobertH's issue but I cannot reproduce.  Late 2013 MacBook Pro on 10.13.4

But I am re-producing GilZ's problem on the same system.  Any palette that is (by default) nested in the Palette Dock will not re-appear after it has been closed. 

Same issue as GilZ and snow here.  FormZ Pro v 8.6.1 (Build 10091), OS X 10.13.2, iMac Pro.

I am curious as to how everyone else is doing with the new release.  My experience on my Win 7, 1080 gtx has been pretty bad consistently now.  It is always around the material palette and material parameters.  Loading a texture map is usually a 5 second delay and adjusting parameters can take 5 to 8 seconds per adjustment.  Tech verified this yesterday through a go-to-meeting on my machine but I am wondering if others are also seeing this. 

Another anomaly that has me baffled is as follows:  Open a model and render it, then close the model- now open another model and work on it a bit then render- for a few seconds the original render shows up before the new render starts- try adjusting the view and sometimes you will see an old render slightly behind the new render window- move the model window a bit to one side and you might suddenly get 50 or so model windows behind the current one- move your window again and they disappear-  now close the model after saving and you might see a couple of old renders show up for a few seconds.  It has been hard for me to even describe this behavior but it has been going on for at least a year now and I am clueless as to what it might be.  Yes, my video driver is current and my card is not the issue since it does this on three of my machines, all different.

Any insight would be helpful to me as well as Tech.

Thanks

Andrew, I can confirm first. The Material palette is slow. Changing parameters take time when preview icons refresh. Working with materials could be more fluent I think.

formZ 8.6.1, Win 10, GTX 1080

Edited by Jaakko

there is a immediate crash when dragging a right to left mouse selection frame over components here. this also has been reported for the previous version. can anyone confirm? i am on macOS 10.12.6, latest nvidia drivers.

Edited by 3dworks

Thanks for all of the feedback! We released v8.6.2 today. You can update you installation from the links below:

Click Here for formZ pro.
Click Here for formZ jr.
Click Here for formZ Student Edition.

Highlights of enhancements in v8.6.2:

• Performance of User Interfaces improved. Most noticeable in palettes and dialogs that have a significant number of interface elements like the Material Parameters palette and the Light Parameters dialog.

• Palettes that are closed in the Palette Dock now reopen properly when selected from the Palettes menu.

• Clicking in the open space of the Materials palette now creates a new material (when the “Clicking in the Empty Space Creates New…” preference is enabled.).

• Area picking Components or groups with the pick crossing option(s) selected now works properly.

• Certain SketchUp Files now open properly.

• Lightwave export now works properly on OS X.

• Various other stability and performance improvements.

thank you for the update! i am however having a new issues now: after exporting my scene with the LWO exporter, any changes in the layer palette are without effect, the scene cannot be controlled anymore. i am on macos 10.12.6.

another issue is that during component editing (in scene - wafter using context menu) now is slowed down. i am doing this in wireframe mode,moving points even of a very simple component is slow as molasses. after finishing the edit, the program is going into an endless loop. i will try to setup a scene where i can reproduce this at 100%.