AutoDesSys

Continued FormZ & Maxwell development for V9

Gary

Form Z Team,

I am hoping that the Z team will continue develop and support Maxwell going forward. I own both Maxwell and V-Ray. Both have their strengths and weakness. Together, they make a great toolset. There are a number of documented items (I believe Ben has tracking numbers and reports of issues) that could be addressed for V9.

Personally, I would love to see Z clipping planes working again in Maxwell. They used to! I am sure other users have their list of items to address.

Can you guys (Z support) give some indication of your commitment to continued development/support of the Maxwell plug-in?

Can other Z/Maxwell users express their support for continued development?

Thanks,

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry Maxwell Render development has been occurring in the background and I believe you will see very shortly a major new release of Maxwell Render. By the way it was never the formZ team that developed the Maxwell plugin as time marches on both programs formZ  & Maxwell need some updates. All we can ask is that they are talking with the plugin developer so it is ready when their major updates get released shortly.

formZ & Maxwell Render continue...

Thank you all for your passion on this issue. The plugin for Maxwell is owned by Next Limit and more recently maintained and improved for them by the Pylon team. While we have made a number of enhancements to the formZ API to support Maxwell over the years, we have no control over the development of the plugin itself. As the formZ API is forward compatible, the current plugin is expected function with v9 and hopefully beyond.

We are in discussion with Next Limit about picking up support of the plugin for future versions of Maxwell, however we do not yet know if this will be viable. A lot will depend on how significant the changes are in the next Maxwell API and how much support we can get from Next Limit and Pylon. I encourage everyone to let Next Limit know how important this is to you. If you are into coding and interested in contributing to this effort, please let us know. 

Hello Support,

Thanks for providing input on this. I fully understand what you are saying about future development on the plugin. To be clear, my hope is that Autodessys  would enhance the FormZ api to accommodate existing Maxwell features that are either currently unsupported or have broken over the years (support of z clipping planes for instance). This is what I believe Pylon has a tracking list for.

I will reach out to Next Limit and make my desire and interest in continued integration with Z known, as well as my satisfaction with the work Ben has done to date.

Thanks,

Gary

All I know is that formZ & Maxwell Render are due for a new release very shortly and I expect there to be a new Maxwell  - whatever that means, but they have taken a while to add any new updates and substantial new capabilities are expected and with V-Ray now moving rapidly towards the 'NEW' spec. So it is up to us that are keen to see Maxwell support continue to ensure that NextLimit works closely with Autodessys and and share specs now for all the new changes still unannounced from both parties. Interesting that Autodessys are in discussion to take of support for the future plugin?

Does that mean that Pylon is out of the game?

Yes, I really hope FormZ V9 comes out soon along with something from Maxwell. I've really tuned my workflow over the years for the two.

I'm still playing with Vray but still haven't included it into my workflow yet, I should really get my skates on!

Regarding Maxwell Render; even though it gets a bad rap with rendering speed, it has a very quick setup directly from Fz and some killer functions. Namely, multiLight, instances etc.

The scatter function (for planting etc.) is so good. It doesn't slow up the FormZ model at all as they only come into play at rendering time.

I mentioned in another thread that Maxwell are very much alive on Twitter & LinkedIn and seem to be posting more often so hopefully that's a good omen.

Fingers crossed for the future..

Des

Edited by Des

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This post from Fernando Tella in NextLimit... 🤔

It's not specific to MaxwellZ but encouraging for Maxwell in general.

I apologize for not paying much attention to the forum lately. The activity here is frenetic lately.

You can expect good news in a few weeks.

Best,
Fernando

Edited by Des

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I am no longer under a regular contract with Next Limit to develop the Maxwell plugin for formZ. Next Limit made it clear that they were quite happy with my development work; my understanding is that this was simply a business / market decision.

I have truly enjoyed working on the plugin over the years. Listening to your feedback and gradually improving it was a satisfying process.

As I'm no longer in the loop, so to speak, so for technical help with the plugin, consider contacting Next Limit through their customer portal, or else the  Maxwell formZ forum here:
https://forum.maxwellrender.com/viewforum.php?f=149

It's been a pleasure seeing all the amazing renderings you've made with the plugin!

Ben

Thank you Ben. I sure hope you will hear back from NL soon. I would be very sad not to have Maxwell support for upcoming versions of formZ. Actually, I will probably switch to C4D to be able to keep using future versions of Maxwell – so it's formZ I would be missing. Been a Z user since the early 90's 😢

We would all like to see Maxwell for form•Z continue.  As mentioned above we are in touch with Next Limit and discussing either us or a 3rd party picking up support for the plugin for future versions of Maxwell and formZ.

We continue to encourage everyone to let Next Limit know how important this is to you!