AutoDesSys

NEW FZ VIDEO'S - STRAW POLL

CJTFORM-Z

3 hours ago, SJD said:

+1 (and more in depth V-ray now RenderZone is no longer supported)

Really? RenderZone is not supported?

It's still for sale in the shop as part of the bundle. It may be pretty out of date but it still good for some things.

Chris Lund mentioned in a previous thread that the RenderZone/Lightworks engine had been purchased by Autodesk and essentially shelved - I'd heard something similar before so there isn't going to be any further development for it in the future by the looks of it. I guess that's where V-ray will take over and why it's being developed in house.

I still think RenderZone is a very capable (and fast) renderer in the right hands

1 hour ago, Des said:

Really? RenderZone is not supported?

It's still for sale in the shop as part of the bundle. It may be pretty out of date but it still good for some things.

I still use it for my day to day. It's fast and I end up doing lots of revisions, so it works well for that.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:22 PM, CJTFORM-Z said:

To all,

RE: NEW FZ VIDEO'S - STRAW POLL

Simply put, who on this forum would like to see some New FZ-ver9.0 (Draft-layout-included) short concise video tutorials.

Count me in as number 1. 

Heck, I'm quoting my own message.....😒....THIS MESSAGE AREA WAS ONLY MEANT TO BE ABOUT THE STRAW POLL PLEASE

Edited by CJTFORM-Z
TYPO

22 hours ago, SJD said:

Chris Lund mentioned in a previous thread that the RenderZone/Lightworks engine had been purchased by Autodesk and essentially shelved - I'd heard something similar before so there isn't going to be any further development for it in the future by the looks of it. I guess that's where V-ray will take over and why it's being developed in house.

I still think RenderZone is a very capable (and fast) renderer in the right hands

To be clear:  I don't have all the facts.  I am speculating on a few things.  And I cannot say definitively that it won't be supported in the future.  Just that in my opinion, it doesn't look likely.

1: We don't know the license agreement that ADS had prior to the rendering engine being bought out.  And what it affords them moving into the future.  Nor do I suspect we will know.

2: We don't know if the API that ADS has access to is precompiled or not.  If it is precompiled, ADS won't really have the option to move it to new silicon, Apples, or otherwise.  Since Autodesk is highly unlikely to re-compile the code that they shelved deliberately, doesn't leave a lot of room.  There may be tools to translate the machine code (Apple has them, but I don't know of wider availability.)  This could also get sticky with the licensing agreement noted above.

3:  In Apple's and MS/Qualcomm ARM chips, The APIs for the OS changes too.  Once again limiting what can be done with an API regardless if it is precompiled or not.  That would take active development on Autodesk's part... Again, highly unlikely.  (it is likely these changes that prevent it from currently working in translation/BigSur.  Has anybody tried on a MS/ARM machine?)

In my opinion, any of these could be a deal-breaker,  but the truth is, these issues are interwoven.  So, it is just batshit stupid of me to even speculate.  Yet I do it anyway.

That being said, I would very much like it to survive.  But if need be, I will make any transition needed.

¢£

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...