AutoDesSys

All quiet here….

Des

23 hours ago, ZTEK said:

For many reasons, I don't propose that formZ to evolve to BIM, but an IFC I/O module will help to keep it alive, on top of all its massive capabilities as a solid modeler for architecture and many other fields.

I seem to recall that ADS already tried to do that (BIM) years ago but gave up on it for some reason. There was also talk about a slimmed down "modular" FZ, with versions tailored specifically for architecture, industrial design etc. which met a similar fate.

FZ needs .IFC in its next release, no way around it.

(Even a script or basic option to export as "BuildingElementProxy" with no parameters would help, so that these can be edited elsewhere)

FZ cannot (need not) be a "BIM" software though, and unfortunately, .IFC licenses do not come for free...

I still make our STEP files from Solidworks into Revit BIM families by exporting them from formZ to Revit in dwg 13 format. Once imported, right click and choose explode all, and if it survives this (some rare models won't) turn of handles and assign the material and the other data. I use a template to fill out the data. Our items use differnt springs for different loads, so it's great, I change them based on the weight. I do have to make it all in formZ though. I do very little modeling in Revit it is so terrible. But, yes dwg 13 is how I get good sopild geometry into Revit.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, AHDD Designer said:

Hello AutoDesSys! Could you also make a post sometime?

This is a users forum - I'd suggest you try emailing support or someone at autodessys as this is a 'Users forum'.

Unfortunatley the 3D world seems to vacated this world!

13 hours ago, Smarttec said:

This is a users forum - I'd suggest you try emailing support or someone at autodessys as this is a 'Users forum'.

E-mail is indeed the best way to contact the dev team, but regardless of this being a "users forum", the space is still moderated by ADS and in the past, it has been a place where users and tech support would often interact.  The current lack of meaningful software updates and transparency has pushed me into using other software full time and visiting that software's forum is a breath of fresh air--users, developers, and tech support all interacting and discussing bugs, requests, and future updates (and also has a public bug database so users can track various issues or suggestions).  That transparency instills the upmost confidence in users that the software is alive and well and has the users' best interests in mind.  This forum--while I will always wish for formZ to thrive and flourish as it historically changed the game in the world of 3D computational design--is nearly barren with new information and I often find myself looking to the PowerCadd forums to find out updates on formZ which is odd, to say the least, and disheartening to say the most.  

Recently I’ve sent an error (movie) to the support with a copy to the private email address Brandon. I’ve done this before as Brandon suggested. The usual automatic email answer I got with the case number as a response. In the same email I also asked about future updates and if we could hear about it. Normally Brandon respons to me immediately, but this time… nothing. 
I do not have a good feeling about this. Hopefully Brandon still works at ADS or at least someone…

Not good at all… sorry, I am worried about ADS if they are able to continue…

It's a shame to see this place so dead. It's the one thing I rated above all else, that I could have a problem and tech would be along within hours to help out but sadly no more. I used FZ for nearly 25 years but always wanted to dive deeper into modelling as I'm more of a visualiser than an engineer but I found the lack of tutorials very frustrating. I figured out that surface modelling was more suited to what I wanted to do and learnt Modo and haven't looked back. I haven't used FZ for over 3 years.

Recently I came across an indie program called Plasticity - it's an amazing app that is basically a CAD/Nurbs but artist friendly app that's taking the SubD community by storm (plus the full package is less than £300). There are many features that remind me of FZ but it feels so easy to use, has a simple elegant UI, and already has a good amount of excellent tutorials even though it's still a fledgling community. Makes me wonder what FZ could have been with the right vision and guidance...

Edited by SJD

On 7/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, Hugo said:

Recently I’ve sent an error (movie) to the support with a copy to the private email address Brandon. I’ve done this before as Brandon suggested. The usual automatic email answer I got with the case number as a response. In the same email I also asked about future updates and if we could hear about it. Normally Brandon respons to me immediately, but this time… nothing. 
I do not have a good feeling about this. Hopefully Brandon still works at ADS or at least someone…

Not good at all… sorry, I am worried about ADS if they are able to continue…

Hugo,

Sorry, you did not get a response on this issue. We try and respond to all support emails as soon as possible but no longer than one business day. We are investigating what happened, but this one seems to have fallen through the cracks somehow (we are human). Please in the future if you do not get a response, just respond to the automated email with a friendly reminder and it will get back in the queue.