AutoDesSys

Please welcome PowerCADD

Tech

On 12/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, Tech said:

We are very excited about the future of PowerCADD although PowerCADD 10 is taking us longer than we expected. PowerCADD is an expansive product and the path forward from older old macOS technology has not always predictable. We are working hard to create a quality and stable product. Our current estimate is that we expect the first beta in January with the release a few months after. 

PowerCADD 10 is 64-bit, supports all modern macOS operating systems, and is native on Apple Silicon (M1/M2). It also includes a new DXF/DWG translator and a number of new tools. We think that you will really enjoy the new PowerCADD.

Is there any update for distribution of the beta, thus far estimated around January '23? Thanks, guys. We know it's far more intricate than generally understood, like surfing Nazare.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, Berditchever said:

Is there any update for distribution of the beta, thus far estimated around January '23? Thanks, guys. We know it's far more intricate than generally understood, like surfing Nazare.

Seems like we are in another time-zone here, maybe that of the Greenland Shark, who has between 300 and 500 years to fulfil it's life-time ambitions. Meanwhile, our own clock ticks along at a faster pace and we may be forced to change lanes....

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Charles Freeborn said:

Over on the PCadd forum it sounds like their next version (V10) is in testing and preparing for release. I'm not sure who is funding or performing the upgrades, but  based on the silence from F•Z my guess is the deal has fallen through. Too bad. They seemed like a good fit. 

I wouldn't take silence as a sign of anything here. There may be some progress we are unaware of yet, but less likely perhaps for the Windows PC community?

It looks to me like the FZ developers and the PC developers are still very much working together based on the latest PC10 forum posts: https://www.engsw.com/PowerCADDForum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=285&start=230

It sounds good to me, I just really hope this isn't going to be only Mac software, as FormZ Drafting really needs this update across the board, Windows PCs included.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gary G, I expect many long term users wish that Autodessys were a bit more communicative with us and potential new users. Some sort of blog would be appreciated. Even a monthly update on this forum and their website. A sign of continuing life and some sort of progress update! We do appreciate the complexity which takes time, especially for a small team, but communication helps to maintain the hope of anticipated progress. I am sad to say there have been for some time little signs like the website being on an old http instead of https domain platform indicate it could be a dwindling company which has fallen behind the times. It could do with some new blood.

A quick update on PowerCADD 10: We have been running a private beta with a group of PowerCADD contributors, distributors, and extension developers for a few months. At this point we consider PowerCADD to be about 80-85% complete. Once PowerCADD is a bit further along, we expect to open the beta to more users. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b8256fd804fe48746d42c58c3b0cd782.jpeg

6 hours ago, Tech said:

A quick update on PowerCADD 10: We have been running a private beta with a group of PowerCADD contributors, distributors, and extension developers for a few months. At this point we consider PowerCADD to be about 80-85% complete. Once PowerCADD is a bit further along, we expect to open the beta to more users. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b8256fd804fe48746d42c58c3b0cd782.jpeg

The update is much appreciated. So hopefully we have something new and good to look forward to next year. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, Tech said:

We are excited to announce that AutoDesSys and Engineered Software are joining forces! PowerCADD has long been recognized as a powerful and natural 2D drawing tool with a solid following. This partnership will enable us to significantly enhance the 2D drawing capabilities we can offer to formZ users. Work has already begun on a new modern PowerCADD. We look forward to sharing details along the way and expect to introduce these exciting new 2D capabilities by the end of next Summer.

I was wondering about this announcement in 2021 related to the FormZ v10 version coming soon, hopefully...

PowerCADD as a replacement for the FormZ Draft/Layout? If, then I understand working together. If not, what is the benefit for both users? In the past we could just select hidden line in the 3D modeller and copy and paste in the 2D environment. Was very straight forward and handy...

Maybe Tech could tell a bit more about the intention with PowerCADD. I still believe it has it's potential.

@Hugo I sincerely hope that you will be more successful in getting an answer to this question than other users have been so far.

I agree that ideally PowerCADD should be a replacement of the old drafting module. I don't have any time to waste learning yet another piece of software if it is offered as a standalone application. Instead, I will simply stick to AutoCAD and continue paying for that instead.

Secondly, as you rightly ask, will existing PowerCADD users really invest in Form.Z 10? I don't think so! Come on support/tech, put us out of our misery.....we have already waited for MUCH too long!

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 11:02 AM, allanjl said:

Not sure what you mean. Are you asking how to export 2D vector data from formZ from macs to pc's and vice versa?

As PowerCadd's future still seems to be uncertain, can anyone here give their workflow sequence for copy / past or export / import from FZ to PC and from PC to FZ?

I've struggled for years to find a reliable sequence. Open Clip seems to no longer be available. 

Thx.

Di-directionally. Sometimes I design in 3d with F•Z and want to export to PowerCadd (PC) for detailing. When I do this I often get multiple lines (all of the surfaces and intersections in the model) stacked on top of each other. It's a nuisance. 

Going the other direction, trying to open a PC file export in F•Z often results in scaling issues and other mayhem. I'lm simply looking for a smooth way to move between the two platforms.