AutoDesSys

Alternate use of one license on different computers

diedel

Hi, is it possible to install ONE license on a Mac computer AND a Windows computer and use the software alternately (of course not at the same time) and behind different public IPs?

What i learned some years ago with v7 or 8 is that you have to mail/call the support guys and ask them to switch the license manually from one MAC to another MAC address … 

Thanks for input!

Best regards

Hi Des,

do you think FormZ will run on 2nd pc when the 1st installation is not running?

As I already mentioned i tried this a few years earlier and I have had quite a bit of trouble to get licensing back to my main pc (had to mail fz support asking them to swap/delete MAC adress).

Diedel

Diedel,

As Des mentioned one license allows two computers to run. I use one license on my desktop. And the same license on my laptop when I am on a trip. It works great. I must confess however, that it wasn't working at first, even though I had only had it installed in one computer to begin with. I had to get support to release the license, then it worked after installing on my laptop.

It just worked for me by putting in the license info from the original registration emails. I have two licenses over three desktops and one laptop, all can run at the same time.

I didn't have to contact support (if I remember correctly).

• 1 month later...

OK, i just gave it a try and installed the recent version on a Win10pro machine…

Doesn't work. Filling in the reg infos and it replied: image.png.8c1c5e73c41316f4dcc29551f552ff6b.png

… which means: "the number of computers authorized for this serial number has exceeded the number of licenses"

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ¢hris £und said:

This has happened to me when I upgraded computers.  They just need to release the computer you are not using.  They may release both, then you will just have to re-register the two you want.

¢£

It's 2022.  By now, this process should be accessible by the end user or at the very least be automated.  ADS support/devs have enough to worry about and shouldn't have to spend time releasing licenses for users.

On 2/5/2022 at 4:57 AM, bmeissner said:

Wrong face. I'm so happy to switch computers using my WIBU dongles without having to tell anybody on the internet… as often as I wish to do it. So, that's the appropriate face:

smiley-2895643_960_720.png.61591d300f54138df76a5298c14561b7.png

Bernd

Yes I'm sure that is convenient, but USB-A is on it's way out, and unless you find comfort in a sea of dongles, using WIBU (or having to notify tech support) are not viable solutions for modern software.  The technology exists to allow installs on multiple computers and when you switch a computer, the transition is seamless.  I use it almost everyday.  FormZ just needs to catch up.

Personally, I found the WIBU key to be cumbersome.  Installing the drivers on a new computer/new operating system was not reliable.  The only way to reliably pass it on was to have it working in an older operating system and then upgrade the OS.  Could have been more of a Mac issue, I do not know.

On top of that, my workplace was broken into and my work computer stolen. Along with the Key.  You can't move a key you don't have. That forced us to buy a new license.

No, as far as I am concerned, the WIBU key was not superior.  Could ADS do better than what we have now, yes, I suppose they could.

On other hand, them keeping tabs on it may be a way of restraining piracy.  (speculation on my part)

¢£

The current system is working for me, but I realise circumstances are different for everyone.

I have four computers in my little home office, three desktops and a laptop running two licences. I'll have to wait and see when I need to replace one to see if I have licensing problems. I still have two WIBU keys which I use to run 6.7.3. but extremely rarely.

I agree with Chris that the WIBUs are cumbersome though.

Dezz

@Justin Montoya Yeah, I know. It's like buying a car only to be told that you must borrow the keys from the dealer. They can afford to do what they like, however.  At the last cgarchitect user survey V-Ray was dominant with an almost 65% market share. Impressive!

See  https://www.cgarchitect.com/features/articles/a9976335-2020-architectural-visualization-rendering-engine-survey-results