AutoDesSys

FormZ and Twinmotion

pkcn

Is anybody try to export file from FZ10 into Twinmotion?

The exported file  has ".udatasmith" extension, that twinmotion doesnot recognise... or we were not able to open it in TW.

Edited by pkcn

Hello,  Twinmotion is now a Live Link plugin in FormZ so you can work in FormZ and see the updates live in the connected Twinmotion project.  This is a fantastic update and puts it more on parity with V-Ray and other Twinmotion plugins availalble.  Here's how to set it up from the FormZ 10 What's New documentation- Whats_new_in_formZ_v10.pdf

image.thumb.png.313ef23412c7c9efd82e7415a056e5fb.png

image.thumb.png.0b8e3ff526d3ec2ebae48b9ded8128b7.png
image.png.7a9c8ed4443f00451aa4577823a2ddb8.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using TM with FMZ for a while now and I can share one little piece of advice.  Look very carefully at the tiny, little, hard to see, almost invisible icons hidden around the screen.  Try clicking on each and every little one.  They all carry great importance and they unlock the true power of the program.  It almost seems like they went out of their way to hide them.  

I also agree that there needs to be a dedicated section on the forum for TM to FMZ users.  A great many architects I know are using TM these days and if FMZ wants to become more relevant they should add a section for open discussion.  

Have a look at this guy - Carsten Emde @ ASM Techbase. He offers the best Twinmotion trining on the Internet.

One of the better 3D modellers that genereally used ArchiCAD but he does know formZ but is only now learning that formZ now has a direct link.

This may help.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 5:13 PM, rmulley said:

I'm interested in exploring TwinMotion.... what's the workflow like ? Is the output worth it ?

Easy working and a very stabile program. Quick results but some inconvenients with the tree library, which will be still expanded. Trees look like having too little foliage to be able to block an image. Would also be nice to be able to integrate background images, especially for fly-overs. But still excellent for the pricing.

I've been using Twinmotion on and off for a while now. I haven't tried the direct link yet but here's a draft animation of a warehouse facility I did a while ago.

I just uploaded it to Youtube, sorry it's over 4 minutes long.

I usually export the datasmith files from the layers in FormZ. That way I have better control. Because I had to do photo matching for renders in Maxwell the trees were originally placed in FormZ as MXS references for still imagery but I replaced them with small planes making sure the normals were pointing up and then used the replace function in TM to place the trees.

I rendered the animation in parts and put it all together in Final Cut Pro which is where the tracking labels were added as well.

Thanks allanjl!

Yeah, it's one of those jobs that won't go away and is going to get bigger, this is just the first phase. The blank area in the middle between Unit 5 and the rest will have at least 5 more buildings. The buildings are all similar and won't win design awards so adding lots of planting helps a bit.