AutoDesSys

Happy Birthday form•Z

Tech

form•Z 1.0 was released on February 14, 1991. On this day we thank those who have been a part of the form•Z community over the years. Your designs and images inspire us each day. We appreciate all of the feedback and knowledge you share with us. Thank you for your support. We look forward to sharing the next chapter of form•Z with you in the coming months.

In 1991 I went to a presentation at our local Mac-dealer, in a time where I was using 3dStudio DOS for modeling and rendering. It was a great program with lots more features for fast modeling than 3dStudio. There were several reasons to wait (I think it was not available for Windows then and had no good integrated renderer..), but a few years later (don't know exactly when, think v2!?) I started using it and never looked back. And of course I do look forward to new chapters;)

Edited by Trick

I discovered formZ around 1994, thanks to a friend who traveled to the United States and brought me as a gift a catalog with all the software published for Mac OS 7 that year. After having some previous training with Architrion, at that time, I was starting to use ArchiCAD for freelance work and to begin with my architectural modeling and rendering studio.

A little later, after reading an insert in an issue of the Record magazine about Apple and architecture, I realized that formZ was the modeler they used in half of the projects presented. I immediately decided to buy it without even trying it out. So without hesitation, I faxed the order! After only two weeks of learning, I started using it professionally. Everything went great, and I restarted enjoying modeling again. Archicad quickly went into my desk drawer, and soon after, after buying RenderZone, the same happened with Strata Blitz, Showcase, Sculpt 3D, and Electricimage.

It's not a lifetime, but almost!

Feliz cumpleañoZ!

Happy Birthday and congratulations to Autodessys! I started learning it around 1995, a bit later I was using it together with EIAS (Electric Image) to create my first architectural animations. A few years later, Lightwave took the place of EIAS and nowadays it's Cinema 4D. Over 27 years, formZ remained my main modeling application and I hope this will stay so. Sometimes with turbulent periods for users, especially concerning stability and interface changes when transitioning from 6.X to 7.X versions, but I always supported it and while brilliant for most aspects of the modelling process, I also tried to live with it's many quirks and periods of instability. Nowadays, sadly - after more than two years from the introduction - is still not usable in production with current Apple hardware with M1/M2 chips, so for the first time I am considering to switch over to another modeler for this reason. Let's keep fingers crossed and look forward! 

Edited by 3dworks

I have been a user of Form.Z since 1995. I hope that, in addition to many congratulations and hopes for the anniversary, there are also a few good resolutions. For example, a somewhat more open and active communication with the users and faster catching up and solving of reported problems. All the best!