AutoDesSys

WEIRD SCIENCE FEM Solver leg modeled in form.Z

Hi All,

Here is my fun personal lock-down project I do on the weekends. I hope this might be of interest, because I am quite jazzed about it. I have used form.Z to model the bones and muscles of the human leg using the sub-d tools in order to export them into simulation software and assign Young Modulus to the muscles and sew them onto the bones and them let the computer use finite element analysis calculate the muscles realistically contracting and jiggling with gravity all based on the animated driver bones. This is why cg characters have appeared to be hauntingly weightless all of these years, because only the outer surface is sculpted, it is not necessarily informed by bone and muscle as it should be. The final results of this newer tech are really encouraging and are only now starting to be used in feature films. It is now being adapted to real-time for video games. This is my early result. Long way to go, but I am happy with this so far.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9eGZkN

One facet of my project is the absolute similarity to being Dr. Frankenstein. I had to get into some rather gruesome medical school grade references in order to understand all of the geometry I needed to model inside of the leg. So this will be the official start of Mary Shelley, the FEM solved woman. I think she will be like Wonder Woman. No I don't wear a bra on my head ala Weird Science, although I have thought about it. I am making the skin for the leg this week. Ha ha ha ha ha.... Vincent price laugh.

5 hours ago, johnalexander1571 said:

One facet of my project is the absolute similarity to being Dr. Frankenstein. I had to get into some rather gruesome medical school grade references in order to understand all of the geometry I needed to model inside of the leg. So this will be the official start of Mary Shelley, the FEM solved woman. I think she will be like Wonder Woman. No I don't wear a bra on my head ala Weird Science, although I have thought about it. I am making the skin for the leg this week. Ha ha ha ha ha.... Vincent price laugh

amazing !!!

excellent !!!

I like this !

Thanks for the nice comments all!

It has been a long dream of mine to abolish horrible CG knees, and also weightless looking characters. There is NO morphing here. The outer fat/skin is a closed mesh with an inner and outer layer driven only by the FEM solved muscles, and those by the bones. I can feed any animation onto the simple bone rig and the sim leg will perform the skin under gravity.

My mind is awash with possibilities. Here is a big update, fun for the long week-end--the animation:

https://johnalexander2020.artstation.com/projects/qA4qGz

This was modeled in form.Z with subdivisions before converted to facetted and then exported to the FEM solver. There would still be another layer on this where uv'd skin mesh with high frequency detail is "wrapped" to the fat layer you can see in the animation and renders. There are 86 digital attachments of muscle to bone or muscle to muscle or muscle to ligament I set up via vertex selection. There were SO many little values that are dialed in, I am the mad scientist. But this is getting closer, except for extreme folding behind the knee, which I will develop better moving forward.

Cheers!

JohnAlexanderZivaLegSim1.jpg

JohnAlexanderZivaLegSim2.jpg

JohnAlexanderZivaLegSim3.jpg

JohnAlexanderZivaLegSim4.jpg

Edited by johnalexander1571
Link