AutoDesSys Forums
Justin Montoya

Auto translate Units on Input boxes?

It would be amazing if FormZ could auto translate other working units.  Example-

Project is in Feet and Inches -  However I need to add metric sized items.  If I could type in '55mm' and have it automatically convert to Inches that would be great.  Possible?

Thank you!

Edited by Justin Montoya

Can't see why not. Although it's impossible to work in two different world units at the same time, all that would be needed is an automatic custom scale option. Once set, it would then resize an object appropriately.

Furthermore, what if we could input simple equations?  For Example:

11' - 83" ... to automatically generate a 49" input.  

I realize there might need to be some sort of container added like (11') - (83"), but it would keep us from constantly going back to the desk calculator.  

WAIT a sec...

What if there was a calculator built into FormZ that you could pop out of the numerical Input boxes!?  That would be AMAZING!  It could handle all the conversion from metric to standard as well.  

Possible?!

1+

In addition... why not also improve all the measurement tools in the Measure palette with drop-down menus with the different units that formZ offers?

Currently, some of them offer this possibility, for example, Mass Properties and Measure Quantities (partially).

It would be very useful and I don't think it's difficult to add.

I will look into it.  As I understand, the interface part would have to be re-written.  As, again my understanding, fZ will not use outside libraries for it's script interfaces.

the tinter in

import tkinter as tk

is an interface library.

without getting the opportunity to dig deep at this time, I suspect this will be the hardest part. (hopefully an interface builder will come someday)

in 6, even though I could build interfaces, I never really understood how it worked.

It may be better to use fZ's built in math library too.  Keep things smaller.

Will probably tackle other stuff first, get my head around things.  But yea!

¢£