AutoDesSys

V-Ray for form•Z Beta now available!

Tech

For some reason, after successfully installing both formZ 8.6 and Vray, when I try to render in vray I get this message: "Could not obtain a V-Ray license"

I reinstalled vray just in case without a problem. The first time there was a problem with the install, but after skipping, it finished installing.

Any ideas?

Modern V-Ray implementations use the vrmat format exclusively. V-Ray for formZ ships with 500+ vrmat predefined materials.

allan - It sound like you are not connected to the license server. As Justin stated, navigate  to http://localhost:30304/#/to activate the on line licensing. please email us at vray@formz.com if you need assistance.

kac - Not sure where you are looking. Have you signed up here? http://www.formz.com/home/vrayLanding.html

Modern V-Ray implementations use the vrmat format exclusively. V-Ray for formZ ships with 500+ vrmat predefined materials.

allan - It sound like you are not connected to the license server. As Justin stated, navigate  to http://localhost:30304/#/to activate the on line licensing. please email us at vray@formz.com if you need assistance.

kac - Not sure where you are looking. Have you signed up here? http://www.formz.com/home/vrayLanding.html

Thanks for the information. Now I'll choose only vrmat when browsing special materials (very rustic brick, concrete and wood materials). Of course 500+ predefined materials is great start.

I registered got confirmed and when I followed the downlink where it has Mac or Windows buttons for download the buttons do nothing. Is crappy Adobe Flash required to navigate the site? I don't and will not install that garbage on any of my systems sorry.

Anyways how much will the plugin cost when finally released?

Thanks

Well it would be nice if AutoDesSys or ChaosGroup can make a video showing the complete workflow with Vray for FormZ. Starting with lighting a scene (environment, Vray sky and sun, HDRI Lighting), working with materials, working with instances for trees and grass, or fur for grass, rendering (interactive and final rendering).   :)

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of V-Ray for formZ is now available. An email has been sent to all beta testers with the details!

V-Ray for form•Z beta [build #1132, 12-01-17]

- Flat and Cubic backgrounds have been added to the Environment background options.
- A new option, Match Background, has been added to the Render Output settings. This button is available when using a flat background environment and will set the rendering width and height to the dimensions of the background image.
- A new utility menu has been added to the bottom of the V-Ray Setting palette. This includes access to the about V-Ray for form•Z dialog, access to the License Server and access to the GPU device selection utility.
- V-Ray frame buffer settings are now retained when the formZ project is saved and re-opened.
- V-Ray frame buffer window ordering has been improved on OS X. The Frame buffer no longer obscures other interface palettes and dialogs.
- A warning has been added when rendering with a visible dome light and an environment background set to Texture or Sky that the background will not be visible unless the dome is made invisible.
- Duplicated mesh lights now render properly.
- Lights transformation have been improved.
- The contents of the V-Ray progress palette now resize properly when the palette is resized.
- Various stability and performance improvements.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Using FormZ 8.6.0 Build 9995 and V-Ray 3.6.0.2 I would like to say,

that it is getting better and better, but:

If there are already some V-Ray Materials defined, Form.Z crashes very often when create a new one by clicking in the materials palette.

By the way: I would appreciate it, if you would adjust the design of the V-Ray render viewport...

Trivial but slightly annoying issue - unsure whether this is vray or formz

When you have the 'Vray Messages' window open on the MacOSX version of FormZ8.6 (build 9995) (VRay build 1138 Dec15) and left click on the header bar of the messages window repeatedly to bring window focus - eg. or to pick it up to move it about the screen space - it constantly resizes and sometimes changes state to open and close.

Otherwise all running pretty good here and nothing much to report so far - but I need to do more extensive experimenting with it and am about to try the more obscure fur and displacement tools.

And the overall results so far have been very fast and look good for a range of uses and model types.

I'm impressed with the interactive rendering - this is something that really makes it stand out.

I still like what Renderzone can do but this adds another whole dimension to the range of output images possible and speed of working.

At the price so far i'd buy it for just that function and the overall speed and 'look and feel' of the images so far.

Also impressed that it will render really well existing general formz model setups and materials. I have tried just running through my model archive and dropping a basic vray light in to see how they look wth some very good straight up results.

A thing that annoys me though is the Vray setting option for Use "GPU" & "Hybrid" which seem not to work and I assume this is irrelevant for the type of Video cards available in the iMac and general Apple Mac line of products. Using a combination of them caused quite a few crashes until i realised this was probably not going to work on the AMD Video cards and left them off.

It might be a good idea to grey them out or remove them from the Mac version till libraries for the AMD cards are available.

It would be great to see a viable GPU option developed to push things along.

post-11279-0-22282800-1513895386_thumb.png

The "GPU" & "Hybrid" option works great - but only using CUDA with GTX Nvidia cards in OSX. (so "no" for the current iMac/macpro)

I am really happy this is implemented into Vray for OSX, even if the options atm only are:

- "Old" Macpro with GTX Card(s) installed

- egpu connected to thunderbolt macbook using High Sierra

- DIY / Hackintosh

And there is hope that apple will offer an Nvidia option again with next gen. macs.

Just guessing of course.

• Tech unpinned this topic

Archived