AutoDesSys Forums

DWG import suggestion

Des

Like many others here I have to import DWG files on a daily basis. Sometimes the DWGs are very big and take ages to import. Most of the time when I have a large DWG to import I set FormZ to skip Points and text to speed up the process.

Would it be possible in the future to include a dialog which would allow the layers (or a layer list) to be seen where we could toggle known unwanted layers so they can be ignored during import? That would save me so much time.

Des

I have seen this kind of functionality many years ago. I can't remember if it was Vectorworks, Powercad or Adobe Illustrator or something else..

Actually Forget that, I think I may have dreamed it..........

Edited by Des

On 9/15/2022 at 6:14 PM, Des said:

Actually Forget that, I think I may have dreamed it..........

No, you didn’t dream it. Modern GIS software has had this feature for a while, and it’s extremely useful. I use it, like it, and wish FZ had it. The attached image, for example, shows the dialog for the importation of a dwg file consisting of 47 layers, 24000 entities, and 1100 blocks! Two additional great features are the ability to merge layers and to control the visibility of each, if so desired.

dwg_layers_import.jpg