AutoDesSys

Attach object to plane or grid

Gyro

Hi All,

I'm struggling to do what probably is a simple operation.

Align or place a face of an object on to the XY plane.

Since the attach tool is no longer I've tried the  Place On tool which is not giving the desired result, ending up with copies all over the show, with none aligning to the grid. This only seems to work with a single object with simple geometry.

I have a multi planed object, part of am 8m tall sculpture for a gallery I'm building, I'm wanting to get the face of the yellow plane to lie on the grid.

Creating a guide face and grouping to the yellow object and using the rotate tool does not get the object perfectly on the grid either.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

www.gyro.co.nz

Place_on_Face.fmz.zip

post-12183-0-62659000-1496489773_thumb.jpg

post-12183-0-38998700-1496490058_thumb.jpg

post-12183-0-91666800-1496490243_thumb.png

post-12183-0-01009800-1496490330_thumb.png

I have a 100mm cube as a hidden object in my template file situated from -100,100,-100 to 0,0,0  so it is easy at any time to unhide it and start a new rectangle or cuboid from 0,0,0 as a temporary object from it's location to first move and rotate if required, and consequently use to snap other objects to. Perhaps there is an easier way, but snapping to other objects is how I accurately position objects or groups of objects.

Hi Gyro, 

Use the Edit Axis tool and move the axis to a corner of you object.  Then rotate the Axis (using snaps) so the +Z is aligned with the corner of the object, then go to the Pick Tool Options > Info and set the Rotation to 0,0,0.

Does that help?

post-5-0-88427800-1496950719_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37222600-1496950727_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bolt Holes.fmz.zip

Thanks for the helpful replies:

Another related question:

I need to place the bolts of the attached file through the holes in the plate, but as they don't share a common plane, I've tried the place on tool, edited the axis of the bolt to no avail.

Thanks in advance Andrew 

hi Gyro

take a screw with length = z-axis

and change face normals of your object to point outside

then you can use the "Place On" tool with "Along Normal/Tangent"

good luck

Gyro, 

As vva states, simply Edit the axis of the screw so the Z axis is along the length, and then using the Place On tool with Along Normal / Tangent option should align the objects as desired. 

Archived