AutoDesSys

formZ Still SLOW...

Anwar

Hello,

I recently upgraded my formZ 6.6 to 8.5 and I am finding that it is still abysmally slow at some things.  First, I am running on a reasonably powerful PC:

-Core i7 6700HQ Quad Core CPU (2.6-3.5GHz)

-32GB RAM

-NVIDIA 1070 Graphics with 8GB RAM

-1TB SSD + 2TB HDD

-Windows 10

This is a "VR" ready PC!

Even with these specs certain things which should be speedy are slow.  Most notably, I have several model files with facetted geometry which contains 10,000 - 100,000+ faces.  When attempting to move these objects the whole system freezes and I eventually have to kill formZ.  I can't even move some objects!

Why is it still this slow? I'd hate to think would it would be like to use a CAD underlay...

Dear Anwar,

formZ 8 should be faster than v6 in general but if you have a case where something is not as  fast as you would like, please send and email to support@formz.com and include a file (or a link to a file) where you observe this and we will test it and see what we can suggest.

Note that if you are noticing this when you are drawing or moving objects, certain Object Snaps like the Intersection and / or Key Point Snaps can be a bit computationally intensive, so turn off these snaps if they are not specifically needed.

Display Options like Silhouette Edges can also make things a little slower, so you can also try turning this option off to see if it makes things faster for you.

If you still have issues, please send a file so we can test with it here and see what else we can do.

Hi Anwar,

Yes, you can upload them via any internet service like Dropbox, or you can upload them here:

ftp.formz.com

name = dropbox

password = i87gdl

If you upload to our dropbox, please send us an email with the name of the archive once the upload is complete so we know to check it.

Thanks in advance.  ;)

the interface is slower but the program does a ton more. Think of it as it lost some Torque but doubled the horsepower. I had a hard time adjusting my 6.X workflow but once I got it figured it I wouldn't go back.

Couple of suggestions:

-turn off the selection preview on bigger files.

- Keep the workplane locked when possible. Bigger files can really slow down if you're continuously moving that interactive plane around.  Smaller files it's not a big deal.  

-Try to clear out any 2D imported geometry (CAD files) when you're done with them.  They really slow things down.

-I also try not to boolean as much together as I would of in past versions.  The Reshape tools (while fantastic) really take a hit on more complex geometry. It's like Z runs out of memory on certain large objects and it can take a second or 2 to catch the preview up.  (I have a Titan X 12gb card so that's not the problem)  

- the insert "check box" gets REALLY slow when dealing with even moderate geometry. if it's acting slow go back to boolean'ing out geometry like in 6.X.  

And finally when it gets really noticeable grab all your geometry and drop it in a new file. I don't know why usually works for me.  Good luck!  

almost forgot.... tune your display options.  Turn off what you're not using.  that was a big one.

Edited by archigraphica

the interface is slower but the program does a ton more. Think of it as it lost some Torque but doubled the horsepower. I had a hard time adjusting my 6.X workflow but once I got it figured it I wouldn't go back.

Actually the opposite is true.  Think of it as it double the Torque but lost some HP.   Torque does the work, and HP is just a nice number for marketing to use.  HP is just a function of Torque.

Dear Anwar,

formZ 8 should be faster than v6 in general but if you have a case where something is not as  fast as you would like, please send and email to support@formz.com and include a file (or a link to a file) where you observe this and we will test it and see what we can suggest.

Note that if you are noticing this when you are drawing or moving objects, certain Object Snaps like the Intersection and / or Key Point Snaps can be a bit computationally intensive, so turn off these snaps if they are not specifically needed.

Display Options like Silhouette Edges can also make things a little slower, so you can also try turning this option off to see if it makes things faster for you.

If you still have issues, please send a file so we can test with it here and see what else we can do.

Hi Anwar,

Did these suggestions -- and those by Archigraphica help with your file -- and if not, did you have a chance to send a file where you are seeing this?

• 4 years later...

Would hardware speed up FZ? Because all these replies on this are excuses for really bad problems. I’ve been knocking myself out for decades importing CAD into FZ and it is the purest form of Hell on Earth. Overnights just to import. 5-7 minute saves. It’s awful. What’s a prime system, Mac or Win, if it works, I don’t care. Would an eGPU help? I have two lower cost, but high performance eGPUs. One on a Mac laptop, and one running on a Mac Trashcan Tower. It keeps them from locking up FZ, but it’s not speeding up anything else. After I work on these server configs CAD file and optimize it, it’s a little better and more responsive. I need this thing to giddy-up. I have a life to live, and this program dogging out is eating up what little time I have left on the planet.

Thanks if you can help.

-Craig

Recombatant,

eGPUs from what I understand will only aid you in rendering and OpenGL render modes.  They will not help at all with importing data or other formZ operations, as that is not what they are designed for.  And, they are not designed for these kinds of operations simply because these operations work as single-threaded, not highly parallel operations.

What may be more of a help is understanding what data you are importing, from what other application and file format you are using.

¢£

Recombatant-

Are you importing detailed DWG files, or what kind of CAD files??  This is one area I think FormZ could use some focus.  I love modeling, texturing, and rendering in FormZ but Importing can be a bit of a booger.  I have found that importing the files into another application like Rhino and stripping out the excess and resaving can really help for importing into FormZ.  Hopefully this can be addressed in an update in the near future.

CL is right, eGPUs are only useful for Rendering or Gaming, and won't help you here.  Perhaps Tech can chime in, but I believe you want the fastest Single core computer speed possible for some of these importing and modeling functions.  Multi core helps with everything else like Rendering and running multiple programs at the same time for faster multi-tasking.

I agree with what Chris & Justin said above, the extra hardware you mentioned will not help with importing of CAD files.

Usually in my experience the problems are with the cad file itself. I get autocad files from different architects on a daily basis and rarely have problems importing them. But when I do, it's always because of the bloated nature of the file, usually caused by the massive amounts of fills, hatches, trees etc. While working for a while on Revit (ugh) last year I had similar problems bringing some dwg files into that as well. The laziness of some who create files like this is astounding to me when I import these files and see the stupid amounts of layers usually caused by copying and pasting from one drawing to another over and over (got one the other day with over 800 layers!). Anyway, if I get one that is causing me problems, usually a phone call asking the creator to save a copy of the file and just copy and paste the visible entities into another file, purge and audit. You are probably only interested in the geometry anyway.

The biggest culprits in my experience are the landscape designers (sorry guys!) just because of the nature of their cad files with massive amounts of trees, shrubbery and general fills.