AutoDesSys

Paste in place

malcineurope

When copying and pasting between models I want to be able to control where I put the item I am pasting. This is particularly true when the origin of the two models are very different eg. I may be working on a model where the position coordinates are to a National Grid and therefore very large (thousands of metres). If I want to copy an item from another model where the coordinates are local to that model i.e. metres then I need to be  able to position what I am pasting. If not, they may end so far away that they cannot be seen on the same screen (It goes blank because both models end up so small if you try) so the pasted item cannot then be moved.

This is such a basic requirement that I feel I must be doing something wrong so how do you do this?

Agreed.. This would be a great feature. I copy and paste on a regular basis just as you described from imported drawings where the data is kilometres from the origin (usually survey drawings). For years I've been able to work around it but it would be nice to be able to do as you say.

Just a quick tip using the "Add Reference File" function; This is useful when I get DWG files with xrefs

Import the main dwg,  > when it's imported move your cursor over the part you want at the 0,0,0 origin, > write down the coordinates at the top left of your screen, > close the file and save. Go to "Add Reference File" in the file menu, > select the file you saved and you'll be prompted with the placement coordinates, > put in the coordinates you wrote down with a minus in front and the file will be placed over your origin. Do the same for all the xrefs and they will all go in place. Any future updates to those dwg imports will automatically update.

I usually do a bit of cleaning of the imported files first to get rid of unwanted rubbish and the stupid amount of layers that come with Acad files.

Des

formZ copies and pastes using as reference the origin of the 3D world space (0;0;0), which is common in the world of CAD software.

My recommendation would be to always work "close" to this origin and always place a relevant point of the project on it. This way you avoid problems in OpenGL and with other rendering methods. It also helps to reference, position, measure, or insert other objects with numerical input.

To move inserted or imported objects that are distant, from another reference file, I always use a graphical reference object for translation operations (T-form). I commonly use a line, which I keep in a special layer for that purpose and that I only activate when I need it.

This way, you can move these objects graphically by snapping to the endpoints of the line.

Edited by ZTEK