AutoDesSys

Mac OS BigSUR With Issues, Render Zone Not Working

jmmanrique

On 11/12/2020 at 7:32 PM, santa said:

I'm a PC guy, but I agree. Have a look at this:

I have to completely disagree here. 

The new Apple chips are pretty low scoring for professional work applications compared to a normal desktop CPU or even other mobile laptop CPUs like the awesome AMD Zen 3. Sure they have a long battery life for mobile computing but who is actually doing 3D work unplugged??  Apple shoving mobile parts in desktop computers is just a silly and unnecessary obsession with thinness.  Much like the same unhealthy obsession in the fashion industry.  I have decommissioned countless iMacs, Macbook Pros, and Mac Pros that all died early deaths in professional environments due to poor thermal design.  Professional work deserves professional hardware, not mobile parts in a silly thin chassis.

These M1 computers should be great for those doing basic web tasks on the go with great battery life.  Much like an ipad, or chromebook.  They'll get better performance eventually but they are a long, long ways from being competitive for professional apps like 3d modeling, rendering, Photoshop, and video editing.  

https://wccftech.com/intel-and-amd-x86-mobility-cpus-destroy-apples-m1-in-cinebench-r23-benchmark-results/amp/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Apple-M1-MacBook-vs-PC-Desktop-Workstation-for-Adobe-Creative-Cloud-1975/

@Justin Montoya, that's why I'm a "PC guy". I started off on a Mac, but that only lasted a year or so. I love the ability to freely tinker with my hardware.

My current computer runs twin Xeons (72 cores), coupled with 128GB of ECC RAM, and three graphic cards (one Quadro and two Teslas) for GPU rendering! Vroooom.....

It's big, it's heavy, it ain't pretty, but It leaves just about any Mac in the dust where it matters! Oh, and I didn't have to mortgage the house for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I bought a new MacBook Pro 2019 16" top of the line with 64GB RAM, etc. But, after research and some readings on the web, I decided to return it because I'm convinced now that Mac's with Intel processors are already "dead" in the Apple ecosystem, much earlier than expected.

So for now, I'm still working on my old MacBook Pro 15", which has served me so well, waiting for a new version compatible with Big Sur and my next M1/Mx Mac.

I hope autodessys can release it soon.🤞

6 hours ago, rmulley said:

Any word on Big Sur compatibility ?

We are actively working on this and have most of the issues resolved. We can report that form•Z is now running well on Big Sur on Intel and arm64 (using Rosetta 2.) We need more time for some in-house testing before we make it available but it hopefully it will be available in a few weeks.