AutoDesSys

please improve the underlay tool!

3dworks

it has been said many times: please improve the way we can place underlays. this is SO important if you need to model based on scanned drawings or any photo reference. the current system is so cumbersome. open the reference plane parameters box, set up parameters, close the box to see if underlay is matching. rinse and repeat for the next 15 minutes. a simple 'screen update' button already would help a lot and reduce time to a minute. better than that, scale, size, move and rotate handles could make this tool really helpful and reduce setup time down to maybe 20 seconds. i just remember the good old times when pylon's plugin did this job in seconds...

currently working again on a project where i have to setup dozens of underlays. it is just frustrating!

Edited by 3dworks

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately, using billboards is only an option in certain cases but no a good workaround in most cases, imo. also a simple plane with texture can work, but has same problems. what we really need is a precise and interactive tool...

On 7/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, AC1000 said:

There should be easier way to import files into FormZ - including raster images. In Sketchup you can now drag and drop all supported file types directly into your modeling window. Very nice.... but SU is not my tool. 😏

this is a common workflow in many other modeling and rendering applications (sketchup, rhino, c4d, 3ds).  if formZ implemented this it would help immensely.