AutoDesSys

Copying mapping from face to face

DMclean

Is there a simple way to copy mapping from one face of an object to another. Copy attribute from will work at an object level, but I'm looking for a way to easily copy from one face to another. Maybe I'm just missing something simple...

Doug

Hi Doug,

Currently the Copy Attributes only works at the object level, but if this is something that would be useful in general, we can consider adding it for  the future.  Is this something that you would use frequently?

I'd use it every day... Most specifically for texture mapping. Apart from that I'm not really sure. I often work with a fairly large texture (say a castle wall which may or may not be tiled). If it's a large image and I'm only using a tiny part of it on this particular face it's often hard to find the area that I want. Once I have found it it would be nice to not have to repeat that process for the next face I'm dealing with if its mapping is going to be the same or only slightly different from the first face. Now I have to look up the co-ordinates of the mapping, copy them and set them in the new face. If I could just copy from one to face to the next I could then make any small adjustments after that visually. Definitely something I'd love to see.

Thanks,

Doug

+1

SketchUp does this very well IMO. When using the paint tool, if you hold down the option key the tool temporarily turns into an eye dropper and when you click on any face (on any object) it grabs the material definition/scale/rotation and once you let go of the keyboard modifier it returns to the paint tool with the updated definition loaded. Then you are free to paint any face with the same settings that were applied to the face you grabbed it from. This is a huge time saver!

Archived