AutoDesSys

Not quite a Z question, any help would be appreciated.

jsiggia

Tech and Forum,

I'm using an Apple optical wired mouse on a new iMac at 10.10.3.

My problem is the curser jumps and wonders on its own.

If anyone has had this issue and/or has a fix for this problem, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks for reading.

Joe

1. check if it's the mouse or the mac which is causing the issue. first, try the mouse on another mac, to see if there you get the same issues. if so, the mouse might in fact have a problem. if not, try it attached to another USB port on your imac or on your keyboard (and all the combinations) to see if this helps to solve the problem. if on another USB port the mouse is working well, maybe your USB port got somehow damaged.

2. it could also be just a software issue caused by some conflict with third party software or simply by a corrupted system.

3. it could also be caused by the simple physical fact that the mouse caught some dirt over time, so it might be worth to try to clean the optical part with pressurized air, for example.

these are only very simple tips which first come into mind, they might help or not...

Throw the apple mouse out the window. I used these for a number of years and after a while, they all started doing the same thing. These mice are awful for this type of work. Do yourself a favor and buy a better (non-apple) mouse. I resisted for a long time and happy with a three button, scroll wheel optical mouse from Logitech.

Throw the apple mouse out the window. I used these for a number of years and after a while, they all started doing the same thing. These mice are awful for this type of work. Do yourself a favor and buy a better (non-apple) mouse. I resisted for a long time and happy with a three button, scroll wheel optical mouse from Logitech.

You have no idea how many times I have said that very same thing...

A $15+ Logitech Mouse with at least 3 buttons and a real wheel is highly recommended.

I had one for a while but the scroll wheel clicked as it rotated, this makes zooming wonky.

I liked the apple mouse because it was much smoother than the Logitech.

But this has been quite a while now, sure things have improved. Any model recommendations?

Thanks,

Joe

They are all pretty good these days.  My mice have clicks on the scroll and that does not bother me at all.  There are some that you can unlock the scroll clicks to roll free (like the 705?), but I never use that.  Perhaps the biggest thing is to find one that fits well in your hand...

I like the logitech 705, and yes, it does have a locking/unlocking scroll wheel. I use it with locking "on." It also fits my hand quite well. After working with the logitech, anytime I use a computer with the apple mouse, I wonder how I was able to use it at all!

I like the apple mouse with the little ball but I do have to buy a new one about once a year....and I use a sheet of 11x17 paper printed with a dot pattern for my mousepad.  I move my work location often and have found that a lot of surfaces including Borco and plastic folding tables cause mouse jumping.

MousePad.pdf

1. Thanks everyone,

I will get a new mouse. Like Setz I need to replace this Apple mouse once in a while, but I do like the little ball.

Setz's paper mouse pad solution may be just what I needed after all, Thank you Setz! I'll try this, and it should do till I get to try the other mice.

Joe

Archived