AutoDesSys

feature request: select by criteria - add random factor

3dworks

Randomness is always great... One example might be that you have 100 objects, select 50% randomly, and scale them uniformly but randomly to a range of 50% to 75%.

Or, maybe you have a geodesic sphere - grab randomly 60% of the points and scale from the center of the sphere outward by 10%.

Grab 50% of the handles on a long bezier curve and adjust their rotation randomly 5% to 10%...

Tons of possibilities here...

it is as much useful as randomness is involved in design. i'm still using a lot the 'random_deselect' script these days, but it is not really handy. mostly doing these things in lightwave after having exported my geometry to LW modeler, there are several tools helping with this over there, but it would be useful to have it natively in FZ.

• 5 months later...

Markus,

Have you tried the new LAB Paint objects plugin, and the new Volume Scatter and Surface Scatter tools? All offer random placement, orientation, and scaling, with multiple objects as inputs.

They were all released since your last post...

do the scatter tools enable random selection of components? i wasn't aware of this.

i don't want to place my objects, just random select them. FZ does not have any way to make parametric components with options to rotate, scale or move component parts, but i have to do this operation quite frequently. for example for changing the angle of light spots placed in a complex ceiling. their location needs to remain exactly  as placed, but some random selected components will be rotated to 90, 180 and 270 degrees. to do so, i need to select components randomly and replace with their rotated counterparts copies or just rotate their axes.

Archived