AutoDesSys

Vray displacement, caustics and subsurface scattering

allanjl

FormZ Tech,

I've been trying to get both of these effects to work on my renderings to no avail. I have successfully created materials that show displacement within Vray's material editor, but I can't seem to get displacement to show on the rendering.

As far as caustics goes, I have tried and failed to make this show by using ripply Vray preset water and enabling caustics under render elements.

Are both of these effects simply not yet enabled on this version of Vray for FormZ just like subsurface scatter materials?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

I'd appreciate it.

Hi Justin, 

I read the thread you recommended, but I can't for the life of mine find the where the displacement option is on the Vray rendering options. There are two places where caustics can be enabled under the Vray render options, but I can't seem to find anything to enable displacement.

Could you please point me to it?

Hi Allan,

I have been able to get the subsurface scattering to work just fine on Windows without even enabling the feature in the VRay settings. I have never actually had the occasion to use it tho, as it's requirements are that you have a light behind a material and that the material be one that scatters light inside of it. I tried it on some fiberglass I was making , but I never could put light behind it (it lays on the floor). I wound up just using images on the models to fake it all.

This is the orange plastic SSS that comes with VRay. I upped the scatter distance from 2 cm to 3 cm. The model is 4" x 4".

SSStest.jpg

Edited by johnalexander1571
Add info

Glad you were able to find the displacement settings.  As for caustics I had a really hard time with them as well.  Never could get anything to work for my indoor pool project.  I do remember reading once that caustics may only work with a direct sun light.  If true that would be unfortunate.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:18 AM, johnalexander1571 said:

Hi Allan,

I have been able to get the subsurface scattering to work just fine on Windows without even enabling the feature in the VRay settings. I have never actually had the occasion to use it tho, as it's requirements are that you have a light behind a material and that the material be one that scatters light inside of it. I tried it on some fiberglass I was making , but I never could put light behind it (it lays on the floor). I wound up just using images on the models to fake it all.

This is the orange plastic SSS that comes with VRay. I upped the scatter distance from 2 cm to 3 cm. The model is 4" x 4".

SSStest.jpg

Thank you very much for this! I suppose I could edit this plastic material and use it, for instance, on lamp shades! This is great to know!

After struggling for a long time to create a glowing lamp shade Justin and I have finally figured it out using SSS materials.  It was a little quirky at first and hard to get it to show properly.  When we first created the material it was small and then scaling it up caused the SSS to disappear again.  Eventually i got it right.  It all lies in the scatter distance setting.  DON"T MAKE IT TOO LARGE or TOO SMALL!  In my model I placed a v-ray sphere light inside my lamp shade and made it so that it does not touch any physical geometry.  I also tried this with a mesh light but that left strange shadows on the shade.  So I thought I would save everyone some time and load the vrmat material and map  here:

Maybe some day we can set up a material sharing site similar to what Anton has set up for models

lamp shade 2.vrmat

km-brigadoon-bisque-by-kasmir-872191.jpg

lamp.effectsResult.effectsResult.jpg

• 3 years later...

2024, and this texture works in V-ray 5 (it converts it to v5 when opened). 

Two notes: the object type matters, so a solid cylinder (even with top and bottom face deleted) doesn't do what what thin extruded cylinder will do.  And you will have to re-link the image (fabric above, or your own).

Thanks for this Andrew, and crew.