AutoDesSys

Invert Selection

DMclean

Is there an easy way to invert the selection on an object. For example If I have a gridded plane and select a bunch of points to move, then want to change the selection to be the rest of the points that I had not selected?

Doug

• 3 months later...

p.s. why not just update some of the more simple FZ scripts as they are in the meantime and put them on the lab? they always have worked perfectly with older versions and are almost indispensable in every day workflows. missing  a lot of these since FZ 8.0...

It's not exactly the same, but what about:

Cut, Select All, then do what you want?  Paste when complete?  

(And / or Paste to another project if you wanted to "back it up" in case you wanted to copy something else before Pasting the original selection?)

yeah good idea, just worrying to crash FZ with such a massive scene. but i will go that way. an 'invert selection' button in the custom selection palette would be a more elegant solution, or  much better, a general hotkey and function for this. ;-)

btw if you are going to change that tool, please also complete the tool with 2 functions: select more as selected, which would take all parameters from current selection automatically. and select by same normal (with tolerance setting). thank you.

I think both Exocube's and Robs suggestions are best...

Isolating part(s) from large projects and working on them in new project file moderates disc usage, especially if the new operation requires additional options within itself, (which happens a lot for me). Saving the new file better saves sequence histories of both files. Then, the main file can end up with just the best options used alone, (with simpler undo history).

Our list of wishes for tool improvements is so long today and truer priorities are forgotten.   My vote is only for new tools which cannot be solved so simply, like this.

Archived