AutoDesSys

vray image autosave

cearch

Hi, I'm having a few small problems with Vray as follows:

1. The "image autosave" is not working. The images are not saved.

2. The "V-ray messages" window is not working properly. At the end it normally lets you know how log the render took. At the moment this is not working.

3. The  "V-ray messages" window has options at the bottom including "write log file". This does not appear to be working - where should I look for this log file.

These are not big problems but it would be good to get them sorted out. Has anyone else experienced the same?

• 2 weeks later...

I can verify that V-ray autosave does not work in V9.  Furthermore, for some reason I was experiencing very long render times with it turned on.  Once I turned it off everything was 100 times faster which I find totally strange.    It is also worth noting that displacement no longer works and can lead to some very strange results and crashes.  One other important note for those of you using V9 is that you can not leave your material parameters palette open all the time.  If you do you can no longer right click on a material in the material palette.  I also find that closing the inspector palette helps as well.  Next issue is with bump maps in the V-ray palette:  from time to time my texture maps disappear in Shaded view once the material has a bump map in the V-ray slot.  Eliminating the bump map and re opening the program makes the maps appear again.  Once you get your maps properly aligned you can add the bump map back in again for your final render.  

I hope this helps people who are struggling a bit with the latest release.  All in all I am very happy with it but it still needs some work.  

5 hours ago, Andrew West said:

I can verify that V-ray autosave does not work in V9.  Furthermore, for some reason I was experiencing very long render times with it turned on.  Once I turned it off everything was 100 times faster which I find totally strange.   

Thanks Andrew, I will try just turning it off:)

On 5/28/2020 at 2:11 PM, Andrew West said:

I can verify that V-ray autosave does not work in V9.  Furthermore, for some reason I was experiencing very long render times with it turned on.  Once I turned it off everything was 100 times faster which I find totally strange.    It is also worth noting that displacement no longer works and can lead to some very strange results and crashes.  One other important note for those of you using V9 is that you can not leave your material parameters palette open all the time.  If you do you can no longer right click on a material in the material palette.  I also find that closing the inspector palette helps as well.  Next issue is with bump maps in the V-ray palette:  from time to time my texture maps disappear in Shaded view once the material has a bump map in the V-ray slot.  Eliminating the bump map and re opening the program makes the maps appear again.  Once you get your maps properly aligned you can add the bump map back in again for your final render.  

I hope this helps people who are struggling a bit with the latest release.  All in all I am very happy with it but it still needs some work.  

Further clarification needed:  I went to load my bump map back in to my material and the program would not let me do it.  I tried in both the Shaded bump slot and in the RZ bump slot but all I got was a FMZ logo.  I could however load any other bump map in except the one I removed.  Then I tried to load it into  the V-ray bump slot and it worked!  It still appears as the Logo in the other slots but I guess that doesn't matter.  One more weird one for the records.  

On 6/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, allanjl said:

Andrew,

Did you check to see if the bump map file was not saved as grayscale, or something other than RGB? That has given me grief before.

Allen

I can verify an important issue when using bump maps in V-ray.  In form.z version 8.6 you must use a grey scale image in the bump channel or it will alter the color of the original texture map.  Now in V9 use MUST use an RGB image in the bump channel or it will not load at all.  So my choice was to either change all of my bump maps back to RGB or go back to 8.6.  Neither option thrills me.  I have been told by Tech that they made this a priority fix.  

AW

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 8:29 PM, cearch said:

Why is that Justin? It saves me time if it works, C

I agree it can save you time if setup correctly.  However, by DEFAULT it should not be turned ON to save files in a place I never go or look at.  So, I think it should be turned OFF by default, that way If a user wants to use this feature, they should need to turn it ON and then pick their desired location for saving.  

It's kind of like applications automatically installing hideous desktop icons.  It's extremely inefficient to use and organize and quite frankly, just an ugly method of creating litter on the desktop, left over from failed computing ideas 20 years ago.