AutoDesSys

Vray material in shaded mode

allanjl

Win 10: If I use a Vray material, the shaded representation basically gets lost. Sometimes it goes to white, and sometimes it goes to something odd like a tan color with a slight grid pattern.

It would be great if the shaded representation would stay put, like it does in Maxwell. That way, the material icon would match whatever mode you're in, be it shaded, Maxwell or Vray. But the model in shaded mode will always match the shaded icon.

Also, at least twice a day I'm having to dump the autodessys folder because FormZ (8.6) will just freeze. Even if I restart formZ it will go back to frozen formZ screen.

Agreed.  Something strange is happening with the Vray to Shaded translation.  General slowness, that eventually leads to freezes and materials getting stuck or misrepresented.  Transparency maps are giving me problems as well.  

Something interesting I just noticed is that Shaded Work mode seems to be better at translating the Vray material settings than does Shaded Full.  

It does make it quite challenging to properly texture map an object if we don't have the proper preview in Shaded Mode.  Essentially what needs to happen is when you load a V-ray material the Shaded material channel needs to cross reference the texture map stored in the V-ray material diffuse channel.  Probably easier said than done.  Once this gets worked out our work flow should improve a lot. 

We are investigating how we can improve material synchronization. In general formZ tries to keep material representations synchronized. This works well for a material where the pattern is a significant factor in the material (ie bricks, stones, or any image based texture). Syncing the shaded when V-Ray is edited allows the material to be meaningful in the shaded view which is specially useful for editing the texture placement. 

When you choose a vrmat as a material, V-Ray creates an embedded preview for the shaded renderer to use. When the shaded representation is updated, RenderZone notices the change to the shaded representation and syncs with it as well. Unfortunately RenderZone rendering requires textures to be a file on disk and it can not handle the embedded texture created by V-Ray. 

We are considering adding an option to the material editor for the user to control the syncing (ie allow each renderer to have a discrete material definition).

Archived