AutoDesSys

Some Thea for FormZ

AHTOH

Looks really good Anton, especially with only 15mins!

I haven't tried Thea yet, what kind of workflow is needed with setting up materials, lights etc.?

Des

Thank you Des.

Well. Basically there is no special effort to render with Thea plugin. You just set the material properties within Shaded parameters. Such as specular, reflectivity, bump e.t.c. Plugin can interpret Distant light from FZ to sun and sky.

Nevertherless there are some bumps at least on this development stage. Such as materials could be little too reflective or textures might not render the way they suppose to be. So I myself prefer to dig little more and work with materials from within Thea. First of all there is a set of basic materials accessible via Thea Material Browser. Also you can download and install materials from Thea Material Library on their web site. However I prefer to create materials myself. It is as easy and clear as it is in Maxwell at least on basic level. I set specular, bump, roughness and so on. As for the lights you can use sky and sun, IBL and emitters. In this particular scene I used emitters for lamps and very powerful emitter in sun role to have more control over the light.

It took an hour or two to reset entire scene from Maxwell materials and lights. 

Anton.

Thanks for your time Anton. I appreciate the info very much.

It is incredible that Thea can generate those image so fast. I can't start playing with it at the moment as I have other stuff on, but the future is bright  :)

Des

Nice Anton! Very much looking forward to Thea FormZ plug in as soon as it's available.

For now, I'm using Maxwell if the rendering must be high quality, with nice results but the render times are killing me, even with fastest (pre trash can) 12 core machine. Maxwell render time is simply not possible to use in a production setting unless one has a massive render farm waiting in the wings. The times I've had to use online render farms to make deadline really hurts my profit. Suddenly the client asks for changes and are surprised it takes days to re-render. Maybe a week if there are many views. The cycle of lost profit starts again.

Hello Envdesign.

Yes, there is a light in the end of a tunnel! Now I don`t need to care of complexity of scene since it renders in minutes. I got all I was not allowed to do in Maxwell: whether it is complex shaped emitters or zillion unattended polygons in scene — I could not care less! It still renders in minutes, not hours. And a result is quite good to my goals.

Anton, thanks for posting your images. Which Thea Render engine did you use: Unbiased, Biased, or Presto?

Hi Richard.

It is biased Adaptive BSD of course. Otherwise it would take hours to render.

Well, Justin.

Thank`s for pointing me to that thread. I am not sure what settings SandroS applied. However my Presto MC attempt on much higher machine specs shows a lot of noise in indirect lighted areas. It is nearly perfect in direct light scenes.

post-46-0-97465000-1450955898_thumb.jpg

This one rendered in 45 seconds on default settings on Presto MC same one above rendered in Adaptive BSD in 15 minutes. Please check the bounced light areas (such as ceiling).

Need to learn more though :-). It is possible that I`ll find a solution suitable for my needs.

Anton

Nice Anton!

Check these settings from the Thea thread, also note, Presto BSD was renamed Presto AO, so give Presto AO a shot using the CPU+GPU option and these settings:       tracing 20             diffuse 1

by Solo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:45 am

it seems bsd is going to be killer icon_e_smile.gif

Presto BSD CPU+GPU, tracing 20 diffuse 1 <---- remember these settings as this is the BOMB!! I am rendering scenes that took hours in just minutes now, with no lack of detail or quality noticeable to the client.

Hi Justin.

I tried hard. No luck with this presto thing though.

Here is Presto AO render made in 14.20:

post-46-0-62407300-1451130213_thumb.jpg

And this is Adaptive BSD made in 20.04:

post-46-0-21216100-1451130211_thumb.jpg

Where we see more drama? Worth waiting extra 26% time? To me — sure thing yes!

Best,

Anton.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool stuff Anton!

I think the Presto AO may be the closest to RenderZone at 'faking' the light solutions.  It's also going to be slower or faster depending on the GPU you have in your computer that uses CUDA.  Did you have it set in CPU+GPU mode?

I wonder what settings it will take to get it closer looking to the BSD solution?  Which I agree is much more dramatic. 

Thanks!  Still can't wait to give Thea a drive myself!

Cheers!

Cool stuff Anton!

I think the Presto AO may be the closest to RenderZone at 'faking' the light solutions.  It's also going to be slower or faster depending on the GPU you have in your computer that uses CUDA.  Did you have it set in CPU+GPU mode?

Yep. I have GeForce GTX 770 with 1536 CUDA cores. And yet it is not significantly faster than Adaptive BSD.

Nice.  The GTX 770 is a good card.  

Comparing the Octane Render Benchmark tests, you could cut your GTX 770 rendering times by more than half using a single GTX 980ti. - https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?sort_by=avg&filter=&singleGPU=1

Or you could grab (2) GTX 970's and cut your rendering times by 3 times as much!  - https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/summary_detail_item.php?systemID=2x+GTX+970

Just some food for thought.  Upgrading GPUs is so cheap and easy.  While Octane is not Thea, the results should still be comparable as a GPU accelerated renderer, one would think.

I can't wait to finally get my hands on Thea for FormZ.

Archived