Photo
- - - - -

Move back-edges and points when in Shaded Work display option.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationBuckinghamshire, UK

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

It would be cool not to need to continually change from shaded work display to wireframe display to select points and segments for a move operation.

At present, only foreground points and segments are selected and moved. Swapping view so frequently is not time-effective. Altering the size of parts of a model is something I do a lot, especially with furniture components and shaded work display is so much nicer to work in than the mass of lines of wireframe.

Edited by Alan Cooper, 01 February 2016 - 09:35 AM.

FZ8.5 pro with Renderzone on Windows 7 64bit.

Family Plan.

#2 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hi Alan,

The paradigm is if you can see it, then you can pick it -- and you shouldn't be able to pick it if you can't see it.  Wouldn't it get confusing if you were selecting parts you can't see?

• Des likes this

#3 jsiggia

jsiggia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

If I remember correctly, it worked that way prior to V7 and it was not a problem. I would like to be able to select objects behind a semi transparent billboard.

Joe

• Alan Cooper likes this

Joe Siggia

Looking for users in the central Virginia area.

Late 2014 iMac Retina.

Look up from your phone.

#4 etroxel

etroxel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

Maybe a checkbox in the Pick tool options that allows us to "select obscured"?

• Alan Cooper likes this

#5 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

I am starting to understand why some old-timer v6 users are considering v8 to be a mixed bag of upgrade and downgrade.

• jsiggia and Justin Montoya like this

Family Plan.

#6 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationWestcliffe Colorado

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Alan,

Mostly good.  Some real profound changes to the positive.   However, there are a number of nuances that trip things up.

• Alan Cooper likes this

Christopher Lund

Neurascenic - Industrial Design

#7 Bo Atkinson

Bo Atkinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMaine USA

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

I'm almost totally excited with 8.5, at this point…

I have noticed inability to select things when other objects are there too (V8.5x). So i lock this layer or that, some objects pallet clicking too. (I tend to try different ways to find best ways). This requires quick access to the palettes. I've got a fast  trackball  which makes this easier.

• Des likes this

#8 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

Old time formZer here (relatively speaking ^_^ ) .... I can't remember being able to select non-foreground points and segments in version prior to v7 (then called Interactive Shading).

As in the current version, I remember having to toggle to wireframe to select non-visible points and segments back then as well.

Maybe there should be an option to do this, but I think it'd be very dangerous not seeing which points etc. are selected, especially on complicated models.

All my models are layer based which allows for control of the model (locking, visibility etc.), and with isolate/reveal, there is even more control.

I'm with Bo on this....

Des

• Bo Atkinson likes this

#9 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

My memories are in line with Des.

Christopher Lund

#10 Alan Cooper

Alan Cooper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

Old time formZer here (relatively speaking ^_^ ) .... I can't remember being able to select non-foreground points and segments in version prior to v7 (then called Interactive Shading).

As in the current version, I remember having to toggle to wireframe to select non-visible points and segments back then as well.

Maybe there should be an option to do this, but I think it'd be very dangerous not seeing which points etc. are selected, especially on complicated models.

All my models are layer based which allows for control of the model (locking, visibility etc.), and with isolate/reveal, there is even more control.

I'm with Bo on this....

Des

I would like the previously invisible wires to show up highlighted, including the back edges, after making the selection, while they are selected with edges topology active. That would give visual confirmation of what has been selected. It is the need to change from shaded work to wireframe and back again which is the operation which is a little tedious on a regular basis.

Family Plan.

#11 Des

Des

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Alan, I like that idea of selected edges/points (whichever way they were selected) showing up through the solid.

Maybe something like when "show controls" is at the moment?

• Alan Cooper likes this

#12 Chris lund

Chris lund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Something Like Modo where it highlights those elements and you can see a dithered version of it if it is hidden by foreground Geometry.

Though, Even in it,  you have to be in a WireFrame Mode to Pick Through Foreground Geometry (except when Symmetry is on, then background geometry that is symmetrical to the Fore Geometry will be picked as the fore is)

Attached Files

Edited by Neurascenic, 09 February 2016 - 03:52 PM.

• Des and Alan Cooper like this

Christopher Lund

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users