AutoDesSys

Poly modelling and the like…

Des

It seems to me that FormZ could do this easily, apart from the UV mapping. Are there people here who do this type of modelling? Would love to see some work like this being posted. I’m stuck on architectural stuff but I love to see 3d in the general sense as well.

Blender cat

Link is from twitter, which reminds me to ask ADS, why don’t you have more of a presence on twitter? Every other 3d app is active. 

Des

Edited by Des

You made me remember David Rindner, master of the cage and controlled curve modeling techniques in formZ in the 90s before he moved to Houdini. Before doing it, he wrote an excellent book about formZ and his modeling techniques, published in 1999, and you can still buy it on Amazon. Although I don't know how relevant it might be today, I don't see any reasons why it couldn't be for this type of modeling, but this is not my area of expertise, and I could be wrong. Anyway, a great book that helped me dive deep into formZ and its polygonal tools. 💎

https://www.amazon.com/Modeling-Digital-Effects-Animation-Graphics/dp/1886801975

Edited by ZTEK

• 2 months later...

Des,

In my opinion, fZ is really not set up for it, though you can force your way through. The best toolset would be the subdivision surface tools. And, then extracting the results. The modelers that I have experienced for poly-modeling essentially use these tools but can apply them to un-SDS geometry.  I would love for fZ to add this capability.

The reshape tool can aid in this too.

When the C-Mesh tool was available  (6.x),  this could be used for poly modeling too, but you had to manually stitch things together.  Which is how I did most of my work until I moved over to fZ8.5.  When I did that, I also got Modo for my more oganic poly models and used fZ for the flat patterning and some detail stuff.

Cheers!

Our formZ's introduction of Smooth objects was a good and timely jump-start but never kept up with the sculptor's need of customization. I spent too much time on a smooth model, while I built it in real life (27 ' or 8+ meter free-span, ferrocement dome using an additive coffer technique). http://harmoniouspalette.com/WeTiltDome.html

I finally bought Rhino 3d (recently), and was able to correct shapes of my formZ smooth model, and did so quite easily, with just a few hours of learning curve, and eventually I need a little more "learning curve" to make the intended architectural diagram. I want very little rendered shading stuff, but I need a ton of technicalities illustrated, for the structural system and specialized mechanization, (which I think is a very competitive building system, for lowest cost implementation of  additive-coffer construction).

Edited by Bo Atkinson

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 3:08 AM, Bo Atkinson said:

Our formZ's introduction of Smooth objects was a good and timely jump-start but never kept up with the sculptor's need of customization.

I completely agree.  I would definitely like to see more.  

1. there are two tools that pretty much duplicate each other.

2. I would like to use those tools in "un-smoothed" mode. So that it is easier to see the geometry that is being generated.

When I modeled for the inflatables, I added Modo to my pipeline.  I would pretty much use it to mass out the shape, with some detailing, then would switch to fZ for additional detailing and patterning.

fZ's SDS tools are a good start, but they definitely have a ways to go to be fully practical.

¢£