AutoDesSys

Hi all,

Since Unreal 5 was just released, and I had really already become a Twinmotion convert, I have chosen to dive directly into Unreal 5. With the new Lumen feature there is no light baking anymore, you see everything with GI and so forth. I have found the way to make at least a point to point camera animation and render it out, so I have tried some things. There is a "living city" thing that is just awesome that comes as a free example project.  There is a lot of trash in it, (it seems it's trash day) but it's as easy as clicking a trash pile and hitting the delete key. There are cars and people moving around in it by default. And to my eye it is quite well done. It is so much fun at the moment. It is 100 gigs tho, so I'm calling it 100 Gig City.  They also have Meta-humans, which are very realistic looking people, I mean past what we are used to. The animations for them are still a little stiff, but I am really amazed at what this thing does at this point.

I will now simply migrate from TM to Unreal 5. Thanks ADS for the abilities to take advantage of this new capability essentially as soon as it came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrr... I am not finding Unreal 5 GI immediately manageable. It is somehow not Twinmotion, it seems like a file will need serious tweaking to get proper looking lighting.  Also, it crashes under load and my surge protector/power backup at times begins screaming. It's not going to be such a picnic as was TM, but the city is very cool.

Edited by johnalexander1571

John, did you find any good resources online for learning Twin Motion? I know they have a lot on their website.

I'm on day 20 of being admitted to a hospital for a systemic fungal infection. Looks like I'll be here another week or two and now that I'm feeling a little better I find myself with some time on my hands.

hi dpwr,

Thanks for answering, and sorry to hear you are down, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I am actually a whippersnapper with Twinmotion, I just did a 4k animation for a product launch that two years ago would have been considered a miracle. I can't make combined motions, and I want to import .fbx animation into it from outside sources. This is why I know I must take the Unreal 5 road now. I just am not good with the new lighting in it right off the bat. I will look into GI/lighting tutorials for Unreal 5, it is really awesome.

hi dpwr,
Martin Krasemann's videos are in my opinion the easiest way to learn TM
They are available on the Youtube channel
Then there is an unofficial but very popular facebook page...
For specific problems do not hesitate to raise the questions to the support
If you see things that seem problematic and for which you can't find a solution, contact me jldaureil[at]alicepro.fr
We can escalate to development manager through the restricted beta testing forum

On 5/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, johnalexander1571 said:

hi dpwr,

Thanks for answering, and sorry to hear you are down, I wish you a speedy recovery.

I am actually a whippersnapper with Twinmotion, I just did a 4k animation for a product launch that two years ago would have been considered a miracle. I can't make combined motions, and I want to import .fbx animation into it from outside sources. This is why I know I must take the Unreal 5 road now. I just am not good with the new lighting in it right off the bat. I will look into GI/lighting tutorials for Unreal 5, it is really awesome.

Thanks, John. I'll look into that too. What is features are attracting you to Unreal 5 over just using Twin Motion? I'm looking for renders that look nice but don't take as long as V-ray on my MacBook Pro. Animation is something I've done in the past, but being able to do it more quickly would allow me to do it more often.

On 5/3/2022 at 3:24 PM, jldaureil said:

hi dpwr,
Martin Krasemann's videos are in my opinion the easiest way to learn TM
They are available on the Youtube channel
Then there is an unofficial but very popular facebook page...
For specific problems do not hesitate to raise the questions to the support
If you see things that seem problematic and for which you can't find a solution, contact me jldaureil[at]alicepro.fr
We can escalate to development manager through the restricted beta testing forum

Excellent, jldaureil! Thank you for putting these up. I'll check them out and dive in!

Hi dpwr,

My prob is I don't do arch vis, I do building material product animations, and I can't for example, make a drill bit rotate while the drill is being pushed in at the same time, or a circular saw blade rotating while the saw moves. Actually, Twinmotion is not an object animation application at all, I am using hacks of animating already triggered objects in reverse in order to get the motions. There is no animation editor, etc. So if I were only doing arch-viz animations (by this I mean walk-thru or even drone type animations), it would be quite enough. I don't use it to replace large stills, but I have been tempted. I am surprised at how close I can get and I am suspicious most viewers would be just as happy with the real time image. If you have real reflections or other mirrors, or certain lighting effects, I have found limitations there as well, but I don't think Unreal 5 will correct all those.

I enjoy using TM it is fun to make so many fly-thru cuts and be able to see them so fast. I keep giving my designers unexpected montages and they just flip.

I only had a little brain power to give this while I was in the hospital. I'm home as of Monday after 26 days inpatient care! 

I understand what your'e saying about animating objects that then move through the space. Sounds like an easy parent/child relationship they could add. I just went back and edited the word "easy" out of that sentence, because... what do I know?

I mostly do concert venue and large events. For me, theatrical lighting that I can easily change color settings on to go with different screen options with the right atmospheric glow are important. Also having large LED walls that emit light onto the set around them. Having many instances of one component (audience seating) and importing different casual rental furniture arrangements are also common to my work issues in FormZ.

I've been using V-ray which creates nice results, but the render times are not acceptable for clients that revise the request the morning of a presentation.

Hi dpwr,

Glad to hear you are back home and on the mend. Yes, I too had client demand for immediate visualizations, also the ability to change them immediately. Wow, using TM for stage lighting and so forth is going to be a tall order, but I have been quite impressed with TM lighting and GI. I think bloom and lens flares get intense very quickly, but just to have those things is way cool. The TM interface seems built around a bit of discovery and ease of use, all the basic controls are there and you dig down into each item to change settings. After a year or more on TM, I find myself zipping around quite confidently and daring to do all sorts of things.

I have also discovered that exporting with the option to use layers as hierarchy allows me to use my standard way of organizing in Twinmotion. (duh)

I have been forced to try to export to TM from both current versions of 3D StudioMax and Maya in order to try to shortcut using some Turbosquid content. In short, headaches, they do not produce usable results, and crash as well.

This Twinmotion exporter for formZ is working like a dream, and I haven't changed the plugin it in over a year. There really is something great here. I take my final VRay model and export it. No geometry issues, no map issues, works every time. It is amazing to see a model I've worked on move around so fast. I just fix the material properties, re-do the lights with the presets, and off to the races.

I am having some issues in Unreal 5, for example, the "Two-Sided" training wheels that Twinmotion has does not seem to be there, and everything is one sided until directly addressed.

Edited by johnalexander1571

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everybody ,

before I started to work with Lumion  I rally had a nice etime working with TM which is inredibly fast for really good results

https://youtu.be/_4j8jaToORc

I kinda find sad that you can't make stills with ID maps wich make it hard or impossible tu use for post production

and I don't know if I am the only one here but using the path tracer for animation creates flickerings due to the denoiser.

Does somenone knows a way around this path tracer issue ?

Still find TM really versatile and good.

Wow Seb, that winter scene is great. It manages to convey the serenity of the surrounding area. Won't it be great when filmmakers are exhibiting this much control over their shots.

I didn't try pathtracer, I have been able to use TM real-time, I am no use there. Is the flickering you are talking about on the edges of those windows?

Thanks for your response..

In this video the flickering comes frome the haze effect that I probabably overdone a bit. There is no path traycing there but lots of fog.

Beside one of my main critic concerning TM is about glas material reflections and light fallof wich somtimes if you are not carefull enough

shines thru a wall..

• 2 months later...

I also consider to learn Unreal 5 this year because  so has anybody tried online course ?

When I see what man can do with this software I kinda say wow I want to be able to do it too !!!

But I guess this piece of software is also very intimidating compare to Lumion or TM .

so I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Udemy courses and is it worth it's price.

Besides most of the courses I see are for people using other modeling software like Sketchup

3DS max and so on... I guess it would be nice to get a tutorial from Autodessys about this subject

How to prepare and properly export your model from FZ to Unreal 5...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have managed to learn how to render in real time with unreal engine and set up a 3rd person character (runs from an x-box control) from scratch with all the blueprints, and the characters face working from an iphone face reader input:

I made the cane and the original coat mesh in formZ, I still start almost all meshes in formZ. I set up his ears to work with the control triggers. Unreal was brutal at times as I had never attempted visual scripting. There are like ten blueprints needed and the base animations are required to do it. Thanks for looking