AutoDesSys

Importing Lidar scans into FZ - how to get textures to work

kim

I have been experimenting with Lidar Scanning and tried various file types to import to FZ.  The .stl files work okay but you cannot import texture.  The .obj is a good file type for importing texture but I cannot get it to work on FZ.  It works fine with Blender.  FZ does not appear to be able to handle the textures.  I have tried all the different methods for importing but same result.  I am wondering if anyone has worked out how to import Lidar Scanned images into FZ?

I have experimented with 3 of the Lidar apps: 3D Scan app, Forge and Polycam.  Just an FYI, I think 3D Scan app is the best one and has more options.  What is interesting is that all 3 Lidar scan apps give me the same result with FZ.

FZ Image.png

Blender Image.png

You will have to look elsewhere, because FZ is not state of the art software. Far from it! In my experience, it's a fantastic modeller.....full stop.

If you read some of the other posts on these forums, you will find that a lot of existing users are very frustrated with the slow development of already promised features. The importing of Lidar (or GIS) data is not one of them.

I hope that I'm wrong, but I feel that the days of FZ are well and truly numbered. It hasn't really changed much over the past 30 years, or so. It's deeply tired and badly in need of a defibrillator! 

I just tried this out and it's so cool.

I did a little test using 3d Scanner App on my iPhone 12 pro of my sleeping dog beside me where I work. I don't think it's too bad considering I just used the low res setting for a few seconds.

There were some triangles floating around but I used the separate tool and marque selected them and deleted. Make sure to turn up the Image Textures resolution (at least 2048 pixels) in Display Options.

This is so much fun, thanks for posting Kim.

Santa, you're being way too harsh, will you move on..

Daisy.thumb.jpg.4e62b5814a92d7fb9a3fedf273d56a2b.jpg

Thanks Des for the directions.  I can now import Obj files into FZ.  I have attached two files to show the import settings I used and the results.  FZ does it again!!! 😊

Just in case anyone is interested, I am posting a link to a site run by Elliot Hartley.  IMHOP he has written the best article talking about LIDAR apps for the iPhone 12 Pro.  

https://www.geoplanit.co.uk/?p=5638

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.43.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 2.48.53 PM.png