AutoDesSys

Alternative method to Coke bottle: Advanced Modeling

¢hris £und

Hey All,  Here is a second method to building the coke bottle.  While I didn't really attempt to make an exact copy, the methods used here are probably the best options for doing so.
 Admittedly, I could have spent a little more time with my generated cutting tools than I did (especially for the top bump out)  which would have yielded a smoother blend.

Mostly, this is to show how to deal with lofts that have weird twists in them.  And why you shouldn't abandon this technique when you do get them.

I hope this helps!

¢hris £und 

Thanks for posting this Chris. It's the type of modelling I would have thought to be the best method for an accurate model.

It'd be nice to be able to convert a nurbs model like this to a Quad Mesh afterwards the same way it can be done from a Sud-D object.

Thanks Des!  Yea, I find this to be one of the more powerful methods. At this point however, I am not sure access to NURBS controls are going to do anybody any good. I thinks there will end up being so many controls to get the exact edge/ tangency matches that it would become unwieldy. .just think of the NURBS blend tool. I find it’s results useless it I want to manually edit.  And that is for when patches align.  Imagine once trimming and slicing are involved at odds angles to the patch.  Whoa, those control cages got to be ugly. 

I am hoping that ADS will give API access to these advanced tool sets and underlying controls. I would like to build tools that could stave off having to resort to this kind of manipulations for as long as possible. I have also written up a pretty in-depth request regarding tangency matching that would simplify the users burden. Hard to know if it made sense outside of my own head though. And it may be that if it isn’t something other users are pining for, it will never get added. (Too advanced for my coding skills. Though,  may be able to write a less effective version).  If you are interested in the write up, I could send it. It would be interesting to me if it makes sense outside of this addled brain. 

€£

This is a great tutorial Chris! I, for one, am very appreciative of the time and effort you put into this. When I read the first posts, I wondered how in the heck I would build a bottle like this. You made it seem simple and logical. You really brought out the power of the sub-D tool. Thanks again!