AutoDesSys

Catalina (MacOS 10.15) compatibility

Tech

form•Z 8.5 and later (ie 8.5.x, 8.6.x and v9 beta) will work with Catalina (a.k.a. MacOS 10.15). Catalina only supports 64-bit apps so older versions of form•Z prior to v8.5 and all bonzai3d versions will not work. Unfortunately this is beyond our control as these are 32-bit applications which Mac OS no longer supports. We also can not rule out the possibility of compatibility issues with specific features or plugins in formZ v8.x on Catalina.

Note that if you try to update a system to Catalina and you have a version of form•Z 8.0 or earlier on your system you will get a warning before the update installs that form•Z is not compatible with Catalina, even if you all have a newer compatible form•Z (v8.5 or later) installed as well. 

• Tech pinned this topic
3 hours ago, chrisjk said:

When launching FormZ Pro, I get a few error messages. Is it possible to tell Catlina these are OK (assuming they still are).

1788390184_Screenshot2019-10-17at5_36_08pm.thumb.png.a51a61623117905c1b8e0939c4d530b5.png1628807752_Screenshot2019-10-17at5_36_33pm.png.1bc0f5edfbe4f21e8b634015af77063d.png630345270_Screenshot2019-10-17at5_36_40pm.png.fdd804551282714b953b7a8a7f669969.png

The Lab plugins are not compatible with Catlina at the moment. We are working on new builds of these that are compatible...

1 hour ago, jalicea said:

RE Vray- Just installed last night. Opened up formZ and all of my Vray menus are gone. Help!

Please check the Search paths for plugins (Extensions Menu -> Extensions manager -> Search Paths button). You are likely missing the path to /Applications/formZ 8/Plugins/. Wh have had reports that this path may be missing by default on Catalina.

To Add the path: click on the "+" icon and in the folder selector, navigate to "Applications"->"formZ 8"->"Plugins" and choose Open. Restart formZ and this should fix the issue.

If you are still having issues, please try reinstalling after upgrading to Catalina as the OS is "happier" with things that are installed after the upgrade (ie Catalina blessed the installation as opposed to something that was there first). You will need to remove the previous version as the installer will not do anything if its already there. We recommend renaming "Applications"->"formZ 8" to "formZ 8-bu". Perform the installation of formZ (and V-Ray for formZ if needed). Once everything is confirmed and registered and working, you can delete the "formZ 8-bu" folder. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 4.44.19 PM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest update to Mac OS 10.15.4 prevents Layout working. Also a small number of other apps. I am sick to death of of upgrades that do this. If I get all my stuff working with this one, it might just be another 10 years before I risk another.

It would be so nice if ADS would explain why this happens. It seems to me that since we left formZ 6.x, the newer formZ are hit or miss with the garbage Apple is putting out there (and Microsoft too). It seems to vary depending on the CAD software too. I find some are consistantly less prone to breaking when the OS changes, but its a mystery to me why this is a constant struggle. It makes the advantage of digital...less of an advantage and more of a reason for Blood Pressure meds.

last week I got version 9.0.2 as an update, I am working with MacOs 10.15.4 and I have to say: It's not getting better... even worse.

I could start again making video's about all the crashes, bugs and so on. But I do not have the energy at the moment.

So, +1 for Andrew and others who are asking... why, why, why...

Edited by Hugo

Hugo,

We have not received any crash reports from you (or anyone using 10.15.4 for that matter) so its a bit hard to speculate what is happening on your machine. Can you please send us the logs from your machine?

Please navigate to Users/[User name]/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports where "User name" is you login/account name. In this folder you will find a number of logs have formZ in their name. Please send the most recent ones to support@formz.com.

Thanks!

On 4/3/2020 at 4:33 AM, chrisjk said:

Latest update to Mac OS 10.15.4 prevents Layout working

We have tested Layout on Mac OS 10.15.4 and we have not seen any issues. Can you clarify what you men by "not working"