AutoDesSys

Macbook Pro Touch Bar

AsOne

It's a GIMMICK once again showing us that Apple has lost it's way for Pro users like us.  

First there they killed off the Mac Pro as a proper workstation that we can use Nvidia GPUs for CUDA accelerated rendering.  The shiny trash can replacement is a joke in comparison for anyone other than video editors.  AMD GPUs are not the way forward for 3D professionals like us.  They lack CUDA ability, and OpenCL is an under developed, poorly supported platform in comparison.

Second they dropped the stereo jack on the iPhone.  This affects everyone that uses their whole 'Apple ecosystem', not just Pro users.  I personally  will never buy a phone without one, so it appears I'll be forced to leave iOS in the next year or so.  Since leaving iOS means no more iMessage on both my phone and Mac Pro, I'm finding less and less reasons to stay in OSX.  I hate Windows, but I'm starting to hate Apples dumb decisions even more.  I'd love to just move to Linux full time.  Unfortunately the only 3D apps available on Linux are way too cumbersome to consider for our use, Blender, and Maya.  If FormZ was on Linux, I would switch today, and I would pay extra to do so.

That being said, with (2) GTX 970s in my 12-core Mac Pro, Thea renders very fast, and covers most of our current needs.  But the Mac Pro is from 2010, and will need to be upgraded for reliability in the coming years.  Right now 3D professionals who prefer OSX, have no future staying with Apple.  It's a sad truth, that Apple could rectify with a new Pro machine, but highly doubt that will happen.  Their focus is on minimalism at the expense of functionality.  

Hi Asone,

Yes, as Dennis indicates, we will need to incorporate additional track pad functionality for the future.  As you probably know, you can find and set many different navigation shortcuts for formZ via the Edit Menu: Key Shortcuts: Interactive View Navigation section of our Key Shortcuts for now...

Support:  Thanks.  I have a bunch of shortcuts set.  Just curious if there were some "fun" things in store for the Touch Bar.  Not that I'm buying that laptop really, just curiosity.  As in FormZ users could have their favorite tools pop up in the Touch Bar.  

Justin:  I agree for the most part.  Apple is really losing its roots.  They have so much money on hand, hard to believe they can't still make a good pro machine.  The soldered SSD really is disapointing in my eyes.  The lack of any Mac Pro update is just pathetic.  MacOS is the main reason I stay with them.  I know it quite well and really don't like Windows.  Linux would not work as you noted.  I also have have very good luck with the hardware over the years.  iOS is a pain in the ass to use as far as file management goes, but the iPad Pro and Pencil works really well.  

I think the headphone and lack of even one USB A port is stupid, but I think it is all driven by $$$.   They seem to be almost completely driven by $$$ and fashion right now than really caring about some of their core customers.  Unfortunately the real core is now iPhone users who don't care at all about RAM, serviceable hard drives, ports, cpu speed, etc...

I also can't stand the flipping glossy screens.  Though in the store the new Macbook Pro was a huge improvement.  It seemed glossy, but not very reflective at all.  

The touch bar is a sad gimmick indeed. It's clear that to be on the bleeding edge of hardware, Windows is the way to go. If this is not a palatable option for Mac users (like myself), one option to consider is using Apple hardware to model and then offloading CPU/GPU tasks to another networked workstation. BOXX (boxx.com) makes such systems. This is obviously costly and requires more infrastructure to maintain. It would be interesting to have a case study cost comparison between localized rendering solutions versus cloud rendering services. Anyone extensively using either of these methods?

Archived