AutoDesSys

Material Tiling

Shibui Design

Hello-

Something doesn't seem to be right about material tiling. In versions previous to V7, you could simply select tiling to "1' in for the texture map and it would appear on a surface without tiling. How do you do this now? I'm trying to have the image mapped and appear only once on the surface shown here. I don't want to use decals to accomplish this for workflow reasons. How to make this work using texture map tool?

post-125-0-48996500-1470679004_thumb.png

Hi ENV,

Doing what you show will only affect RenderZone (and not Shaded display) because it is part of the RenderZone options and not the Shaded options.  If you also need it to display as a single tile in Shaded mode, then you will need to create a separate rectangle (or other shape), or imprint the rectangle onto the object so you have a separate face to color.

Does that allow you to get what you want?

I'm a little confused. Yes, my goal is to have it appear as a single tile within a larger field of white. I'm using the RenderZone options in the material parameters. In working mode (shaded display) the image tiles across the surface. I was really surprised just now that when I render with RenderZone, it does only tile on time, as desired. I never tried rendering, as I just figured that if it is tiling in shaded display, then surely it would in a rendered view as well. It would be really informative if it would display in shaded mode as it would render.

post-125-0-00636400-1470682737_thumb.png

post-125-0-04674200-1470682745_thumb.png

+1 to the OP's point. It would be best if a material tiled and scaled in shaded modes the same as it would in full render.

While there are times that shaded mode is fine for final work. The real purpose of shaded mode is to get a quick preview of what a full render will look like.

if the "preview" doesn't match the final. it greatly diminishes its value.

Bart

Bart,

Yes, that would be nice.  It is not easy but we will see what we can do.

ENV,

Different Renderers support different effects.  Therefore, you should generally choose a Material Type that corresponds to the final out display mode for WYSIWYG results.

Agreed!

I think we were told once it's a limitation of the OpenGL based Shaded mode?   It would be great if Shaded also correctly handled tiling.  It's made especially frustrating during mapping because we no longer have the detail mapping window available which would allow for quick RenderZone previews of mapping without the need for inaccurate (tiling) Shaded preview mapping.

Archived