AutoDesSys

Using Scenes

I've struggled with scenes since day one. What I'd like to do is save a "scene" with specific objects or groups of objects on or off. For example one "scene" would have a door open and another closed. I'd like to be able to view or export images of these "scenes" by selecting which one I want to view. Can someone walk me through this procedure?

In other CAD programs I use it's easy. I put objects on layers, choose which layers are on or off for any given view and then I can click through them. In 2-d parlance they're "sheets" just like a plan set. How does Form z handle this?\

Thanks.

It is quite easy but you do need to be careful with using scenes.  Set up the model just as you want it for a particular scene- this includes everything from layers on or off to lighting and cameras.  Then click on an open slot in the scene tab to take a snap shot of your model. You will also notice a red dot next to the name of that scene.  This indicates that everything you change moving forward will be recorded actively in that scene.  If you don't want to change the scene you need to turn that red dot off.  This is the part that always gets me as I often forget to do that. 

Hi Charles,

Yes, it is as easy as you note in other programs and as Andrew describes above -- with the key being Uncheck the Scene if you don't want to make changes.

It is also recommended to control the visibility of object by Layer -- and leave the Object Control off (which it is by default).

You can then activate and render the Scenes directly in formZ, or via the Imager.

Does that help?

This might not be the place, if so, I am sorry to usurp this thread.

If I want to show a design containing multiple parts with different texture options, can I do that with Scenes?

For example, I have a simple room and I want to show 3 different options for  wall color and flooring .

Can I create 3 scenes one for each texture option?

or is there another best practice for this?

Bart

Bartjuan, yes you can, the key to this is layers, and you can control visibility of several layers at once by having them in a layer group. Arrange the on/off visibility of the layers you need for a scenario, create scene, then turn off the red recording dot from the scene.

Hi Bart,

Yes, as Alan notes, Duplicate your geometry on 3 different Layers (or Layer Groups) and make only one of these visible in each Scene.  Then Color / Map these individually as you like.

Does that do what you want?

Got it, thanks.

They key is not that it controls texture properties but layer control.

So I have to have a file with duplicate geometry for rapidly switching textures.

I was hoping to use this in conjunction with the new file viewer for IOS.

We'll see how much geometry it can handle!

Bart

I have found locking the Scene after setting it up helps me.  I often forget to uncheck the red dot and the scene gets changed.

Just make sure to unlock if you want to change the Scene.

Archived