AutoDesSys

Move Lights in Cone of Vision with cursor

DennisA

Hi Dennis,

The Cone of Vision is about manipulating the view and not the lights, but if you want to graphically move lights, just make them visible (using the "eye" icon in the Lights Palette), and click on them with the Move tool.  As VVA notes, you can move the entire light, or if it is a cone, or distant light, move the Origin and Center of Interest of the light separately.  (And you can also use Rotate and / or move copies of the lights graphically if you want.

Does that help?

The benefit to the old way of editing the lights in the Cone of Vision editor was that the model was unselectable, and only cameras and lights were. This level of filtering was a very nice way to work I thought.

You could easily right click in the lock column for Objects or Layers and choose All Locked to prevent accidentally moving objects -- but of course that is one more step...

That's what I currently do. I like adjusting the lighting in quad view with the camera in the upper right panel in shaded work mode so I can see the real time effects of the lighting change. I prefer all other views to be in wireframe during this so they are fast and so objects aren't obscuring the light itself. Locking all layers/objects is a must because I don't want to accidentally grab something else. It's this last part that is never a problem when it was possible to do the changes in the cone of vision editor. 

You could easily right click in the lock column for Objects or Layers and choose All Locked to prevent accidentally moving objects -- but of course that is one more step...

Hi Gary,

Clicking the lock column at the top will toggle the state of everything, which can take a moment with a larger project.  Right clicking the lock column and choosing Lock All should be very fast though, even with large projects...

Archived