AutoDesSys

Shapeways? Or... other online 3d printing?

-andrew-

Use Object Doctor to spot any issues and make sure that your object(s) is watertight - a closed solid.

Shapeways has online interactive software that evaluates problem areas and shows those areas clearly with a red color.  The problem areas are different for different for different types of materials so upload your model, choose the material you want and then see what if anything needs to be modified.  My ring models had areas that showed as marginally too thin for the lost wax process.  I didn't want to make those areas thicker so I left them as they were and they actually came out fine.  Export as .stl and verify the size of the bounding box in their software to ensure scale is accurate.

I have had great success with Shapeways as well.

In addition, Redeye On Demand now called Stratasys Direct Manufacturing makes incredible parts.

https://www.stratasysdirect.com/

The are operated by Stratasys, the manufacturer of many high end 3D printers including Objet UV resin printers/

I like working with them because each file is reviewed y staff to ensure the best print outcome.

They are not cheap but, you get what you pay for.

Bart

Hi Andrew,

Yes, formZ is great for making models for prototyping via CAM or 3d Printing.  Just make sure that you have constructed your models as solids, and that they have clean geometry.

As suggested above, the Object Doctor can help you analyze and often fix issues.  One important distinction with the Object Doctor is that the Fix option will ONLY display results that have been fixed, and you will want to run it with the Add to Selection option to see what issues truly exist in the object(s).

STL printing only prints Solid, Facetted, Triangulated objects, so if you have a Smooth object, it should automatically be converted to that (based on the current Display Resolution settings for the object(s) or Export Options), but we have seen a few "fairly rare" cases where this could potentially introduce an issue with the Facetted version.  If you ever encounter that, using the Polygon Mesh tool with the Advanced Options -- set it to All Triangles, and uncheck everything except for the Normal Angle Tolerance field (and perhaps a 5 or 10 degree angle) and use those options to Convert the Smooth geometry, then that will typically fix the issue.

Does that help?

Archived