AutoDesSys

Texture Map workflow question?

AsOne

Where do users typically store texture maps?

I have a server at work and typically store all my frequently used texture maps in a central location (CAD/FormZ/TextureMaps).  Then for project specific maps I store them in a folder for that Project.  This saves space on the server as I'm not replicating ever map for every project.  

Any comments or suggestions on the above method?  Is this how most people out there are working?  Thanks in advance...

Hi Paul,

That shouldn't cause any problems, but if you are then taking the FMZ file to a place that is no longer connected to your server, then of course those files would no longer be available.  In that case, if you Save A Copy As into a new folder, check the option to include the Image Files, then this will copy all the properly linked textures along with the file so it can be used elsewhere...

We used a similar method in the past, but have now found that gigabytes are so cheap, it's far easier to just keep making duplicate copies of the frequent maps and keeping them all in a 'maps' folder with each individual project locally.  I personally hate working off server files for a variety of reasons.  Local is much faster, and with proper backup techniques, usually safer, as you don't need to worry as much about someone else accidentally moving, deleting or editing the files.  OSX Time Machine really works great!

Everyone is different, but I'm generating roughly 50gb per year for the work we do.  The 1.5TB DIY Fusion drive is working perfectly for that, and I expect it will be needing upgrading about the time the 4+ TB SSDs are becoming the norm.  

Cheers!

Thanks for the response.  I have been thinking of migrating to a solution like Justin's where all the maps are in the project.  However, I do like working off the server as local copies get confusing if multiple people are working on the file.  Our server is on Time Machine and also cloned fyi.

Archived