AutoDesSys

Edit mode after creation

jldaureil

I'm not sure I've been clear...

Simple example

When I draw an extruded rectangle (modifier extrusion in tool options palette on)

Just after the extrusion made, just after the generation the object in highlighted (default orange) and the extrusion controls are displayed (points for source and arrow for extrusion)

Is it possible to avoid the display of these controls (a kind of "construct directly" option in old versions of FZ) ?

Alan

If the layer is locked, yes these controls are not activate... only the hightlight

Rob

Yes if I do something next the generation (make or modify the next object) these controls stops

But I simply doesn't need them in most cases so I prefer a user decision to edit or not an object after its generation

Is it possible ?

PS

the highlight is in the color name 'result' in the color sheme

so it seems what I want is to shutdown the "result" display and its controls as a preference...

Hi JL,

The only way I can think of doing this is; go to FormZ Preferences > go to modeling > turn on "Return To Pick Tool".

You'll have to keep selecting the tool that you want after each object creation though......

Des

Hi JL,

The controls are automatically shown after the object is created, but it should not interfere with your work in any way.  (If it does, just hit ESC and the "Result Buffer" will automatically be dropped.)  Is there a reason that you can't just use this to further modify the object if necessary, and if not, simply proceed to the next task?

Is there a reason that you can't just use this to further modify the object if necessary, and if not, simply proceed to the next task?

Because in most cases I don't need further edition...

Because I do not need addition click (esc)

Because I do not need to see these controls and keep concentrate on my workflow...

so,

Why impose editions ?
Why not let the user choose?

This need a simple option...

Since the controls do not interfere 99% of the time, why not just get on with the project?

If they do interfere, hit ESC.

We realize that you are just getting used to the changes that we made 4 years ago, but perhaps you should give it a little time before trying to change everything?

We realize that you are just getting used to the changes that we made 4 years ago, but perhaps you should give it a little time before trying to change everything?

I do not want to change everything...
no worry
It's very difficult to change habits...
I'm sure there are a lot of good things in Z8...
I do not want to regress if I'm interrested in Z8 but I continue to work with Z6 because of its drafting features...

In this precise case I would like to take the exact conversely example:
In Z6 if you touch a given geometry by points (in wire frame) with a snap selected you get a selection preview. (not in OGL)

In Z8 we have a kind menu 'selection preview' to turn on and off this kind of effect, and this works in any interactive render mode.

This is exactly what I like!
The user can choose from one or another way to work...

What I ask for is not to change a feature you think to be a progress (even if you made this four years ago) but simply to let  the user a liberty.

Even from a philosophical point of view, I suppose the real progress in all things come from this little details because this offers one thing and its contrary.

If you add a menu to activate or not this edit mode, you do not remove anything to what exists but you increase the extent of the possibilities and you add additional freedom

still not convinced?

JL

In addition to what I've already said, you can take a look at the attached file

When I have to draw this kind of vector pattern, I do this in 2D (Z6) from an underlay

Just imagine to do this with Z8, is it really necessary to systematically get this edit mode to draw all these closed polylign extruded in a top view?

Thanks

JL

MUR pierre 3Dv2.zip

JL,

Sorry, we are a bit confused.  So you draw the first stone, and the control dots show.  You start drawing the next one, and the control dots go away on the first stone.  They don't cause any problems, and don't cause any delay -- they just show until you draw the next object.  

The Result Buffer may not be very useful in this specific case, but it is invaluable in others, and without it, things like Edit Texture and C-Round won't even function...

Is it just an aesthetic thing for you?

Yes I draw stone after stone (under Z6 draft) with an uderlay

If I would like to draw this in Z8, I can proceed in a similar way

In this case I do not need the result buffer...

Of course there many cases where the buffer could valuable not all.

If you prefer, yes I can say it's aesthetic issue (if this cause any delay)

Jean-Luc

Archived