#1 mleblanc

mleblanc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

I saw that V4 is coming soon.

With GPU rendering ! Quite something.

Will the new version be compatible with Form z and will Fire use the GPU engine ?

Thx

M

• JoryikMn, AlexissMn, DeanAmbiree and 4 others like this

#2 pylon

pylon

• Moderators
  • 743 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Hi M,

There will be a formZ plugin for Maxwell v4 :) I can't comment on any of the details ;)

• Des likes this

#3 mleblanc

mleblanc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:32 PM

Can't wait - thx !

#4 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:50 AM

I'm really looking forward to this release, is it still due out tomorrow? (1st Oct) Their website says its due 'this September'. Looking around the net I cant seem to find any further info...

#5 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:06 AM

Website now says Oct 10th...

#6 mleblanc

mleblanc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

I'm not sure how we're supposed to integrate this new multi-light app in our workflow.

I'm hoping for ease of use in the materials management department and also to see if GPU turns out as the holy grail of rendering for small agency as some says it is.

A few more days and we will be invited to fork some more euros to know it  :)

#7 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

Tech,

The new plug in causes FormZ to crash on opening, remove it from the plugins folder and Z opens up again. I assume there is an update in the pipeline? (Anyone else having this problem? (Mac, 8.5 Pro)

Cheers

#8 Tech

Tech

• Moderators
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Hi Andy,

We are not having this problem here.  Are you sure that you have the most recent version of formZ, Maxwell, and the Maxwell Plugin for formZ?

#9 pylon

pylon

• Moderators
  • 743 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

Andyb,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Can you provide more specifics: what version of the plugin, and what version of OSX are you attempting to launch? Did you remove the previous version of the Maxwell pugin beforehand?

#10 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi Pylon / Tech,

No I didn't remove the previous version, perhaps this was the cause, I will try this later on. For the avoidance of doubt, its the new Maxwell 4 plugin that I was trying to use with the latest version of Z. (El Capitan)

#11 pylon

pylon

• Moderators
  • 743 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

El Capitan or Sierra (the latest macOS release)?

#12 pylon

pylon

• Moderators
  • 743 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:41 AM

As the dmg indicates, you should just drag the entire Maxwell folder into your formZ plugins folder. There is no separate installation into /Applications as of v4.

If you do get a crash again for any reason, please email to: pylon_support.jpg

#13 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

I removed V3 and it works okay now. However, how do I download studio for Mac OS X, see attached screenshot, only linux and windows options appear?

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 19.51.28.png

#14 pylon

pylon

• Moderators
  • 743 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Great, good to hear. Regarding questions about Studio, please contact Nexf Limit. (I am not sure of the answer to your question.)

#15 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

Sorry I just realised you only deal with the plug in. (maxwell site seams to be experiencing some problems right now... disappointing) 

#16 pkcn

pkcn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hello,

Yes, Maxwell 4 is out now... Does the existing FZ plugin work with this new update? What is the benefit of GPU option in FZ (Fire preview?)?

#17 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

just as a warning, it seems NL is not planning for GPU support on macs. so if you are running FZ on OSX, consider this feature as not available...

cheers

markus

3dworks visual computing + photography

#18 Andyb

Andyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Markus,

Why would there be no GPU support for Mac? (sorry, clueless with things like this)... 

Surely, they would not offer 1 product for windows and another for mac thats not as good? Whats the benefit of that?

Andy

#19 Smarttec

Smarttec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

Andy,

The issue is that GPU support is only nVidia CUDA based cards and they are generally not available on Macs. In fact all current Macs that are shipping support use AMD cards NOT nVidia and they are will not work like all other GPU renderers.

It is becoming more and more apparent that Windows based machines are replacing Mac's for 3D work as Apple is not keeping pace with high end GPU support and persists with just AMD /Intel graphics support that just does not cut it - much to my displeasure!

The new Maxwell 4 packages are are modeller specific and only work with the modeller you get it for - but the upside is formZ plugin is in the less expensive lot.

Rob 

#20 3dworks

3dworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 13 October 2016 - 04:00 AM

well, other engines are supporting mac GPU rendering, like thea (which you will find as a plugin for FZ) and octane... the problem is that next limit jumped late on the GPU bandwagon, so they have not much experience yet with coding this type of stuff - which needs higly specialized algorithms and a good knowledge of how to use the CUDA platform. waht you get now is basically an early alpha stage of that engine, which will be refined 'on the go'. also, with the new version, they changed their marketing and abandon a strategy which was their big advantage: in the past you bought a maxwell licence and got plugins for all supported platforms. now you have to pay separately for everything, a way to make more money on the paper, but i doubt they will make more clients like this. also, they abandoned a few 'obsolete' platforms like lightwave(which is definitely not obsolete), houdini and softimage.

the FZ plugin is definitely well done and updated with care, i've used it in the past. so if you don't expect GPU rendering to be production ready within the next months, it's worth to be considered as a third party engine for FZ. i also tried out the thea plugin lately and liked the integration a lot. but development seems to be stalled and issues like palettes not appearing and a few instabilities are holding me back ftom buying a license and there has not been any update for a few months now. hopefully, the developer will care more about fixing issues, as it is something i'm looking into for using my GPU capacities on mac in the future.

markus

3dworks visual computing + photography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users