AutoDesSys

Collision detect

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

That could be a great idea. Also it would be good to have option allow or forbid objects to penetrate each other. Self collision detection and management would be nice too.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love a self-boolean which produces a difference of overlapping portion, (leaves original object). Asking a system to test for optional, non interfering spacing, would seem to take up more time. A regular boolean object, that alone, can already take lots of time. (Besides, This might also work as a new, additional, boolean carving tool, with fewer clicks.

• 1 year later...

All, 

There is a kind of "collision detector" as a part of the Object Doctor.  You can use this to find Intersecting Faces, Coplanar Faces, and Coplanar Segments, all of which can potentially cause issues with the project.  

However this will not detect intersecting volumes--such as that between two cubes--because this does not cause problem geometry.  In what manner may this function be useful?

Collision detection is useful for example where copies of an object have been made and something has inadvertently been left over the top of another, increasing the quantity count from that which had been intended when a bill of materials is produced.

Thanks Tech, great suggestion. I have never used that tool before, (only the object doctor) perhaps I should add it to my routine before generating data from info management. Maybe as a suggestion, it could be added as an option in the info management dialogue box to save an extra step?

• 3 weeks later...

You have snap options that should assist in preventing overlapping object. However I could see it as an added feature for particles or arrays where objects are distributed automatically and not positioned manually that would use the snaps.

Archived