AutoDesSys

is this a bug or my inadequacy?!

SJD

Hi

I'm finally getting to grips with FZ 8.6 after migrating from version 6.5. Extremely impressed so far with the improved workflow and features. However, I've got a frustrating problem that seems so basic that I can't figure out. I can't imagine that it's a bug and it's driving me crazy!

I create a cube and then want to draw a shape on the active face using a vector line tool, straight or curved it doesn't matter. What I find is happening is that as soon as I go to plot a third point is that the line is being automatically joined up (so the knot is visible) - I can't draw an open shape and it makes it really awkward to draw a more complex closed shape. Here's a screenshot of me drawing a simple triangle - it's automatically joined up the lines before I've placed the point (sorry for the quality of the shot - I'm using a Mac keyboard on a PC and haven't figured out how to screenshot yet!)

Also, when I press escape to cancel I'm left with a single vector line that I cannot delete

Hope this makes sense

thanks, Steve

IMG_1161.JPG

thanks for the reply,

yes, if the insert option is turned off then it's fine

However, the point of the operation is to insert the shape into the block. I know there are obvious work arounds but I can't see why this simple operation should create a problem.

say for instance I want to draw an irregular 4 sided shape using the vector line tool and then recess it into the block. I draw the first line fine but then as I go to draw the second line the shape automatically becomes joined at the other end - I can still plot the shape but it's acting like a rubber band because the shape is already joined. Sure, I could just draw the shape, extrude it and then difference it into the block but those are extra operations that shouldn't be required.

yes, there are work arounds as mentioned but it seems odd behaviour and additional operations where there needn't be - I can see no reason why having the insert option selected should have this effect. Any thoughts on this Tech?

yes, that's how I'm doing it now - just seems odd that you can't do it in one go with insert/3d extruded selected. The automatic closure of the shape as you draw it seems like a bug which is why I pointed it out

The words "work around" get used a lot these days.  Fortunately there are many ways to create things in Form.z and each of us has our own method of doing things.  This is not uncommon in many programs and sometimes the logic that engineers use to create these tools escapes us end users.   I am not saying that this is the case here but you will need to keep an open mind when re learning 8.6 which was a major departure from the old 6.7.  

Does it make sense to extrude an open line inserted into an object?   The logic here is to probably guarantee that it isn't done, and to give indication that you can't.

Yes, it would be possible to have the program close it for you when you end the operation, but that could lead to false expectations.  This way, there is no false expectation.  The curve must be closed.

¢£

Hi both

thanks for the replies...

Chris:- a single open line no but a single line enclosure then I would say yes. I'd also just assumed that drawing an irregular closed shape using lines would behave like other closed primitives like squares and circles but perhaps that's not the case. I can now see the logic if this is not possible to do. As Andrew says, there are many was to achieve the same result and I just wanted to check I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I've been using FormZ since version 2.95 (some 20 years ago) and I'm afraid much of my approach is still based on that. Not only am I getting used to the new interface and amazing tools but also the whole idea of modelling in 3D space - something I am keen to embrace because I can see the obvious benefits.

I think I'm too old now to worry about asking dumb questions and maybe if I do others won't have too!

I see you guys do some really nice work, here's what I do

http://www.stevejonesdesign.co.uk

thanks

Steve