AutoDesSys

Texture mapping

Andrew West

I am struggling a bit with version 9 and the texture mapping and I discovered something new that might help save people some time.  We should be aware that loading a bump map into the V-ray channel can lead to some really strange results.  I was trying to figure out why my materials were not displaying in shaded mode and just showing a solid color.  Once I trashed the bump map my materials suddenly showed up so that I could properly texture map them.  Once I had them aligned properly I could then reload my bump map so that it would work in the final render.   Just another one of those "work arounds".  Hope this helps

AW

Thanks Andrew,  I've run into this Shaded Material Updating bug from time to time as well and I'm not sure what causes it or how to fix it.  I haven't been able to recreate it on a simple project yet, so it's difficult to explain what is actually happening.  

I'm curious which way you found the bump map to cause this error?  Was it in the V-Ray for formZ > Material Parameters > 'Generic' texturing Method?  Or, was it in the V-Ray (.vrmat) material editor?  I mostly just use the Generic unless it's a much more complicated texture, so I tested it that way and it seems to be working on a very basic file using the Generic mode with a basic texture map file in the Diffuse channel and a different Bump Map channel file.  

image.thumb.png.2ef223aaa3cf095c175f729a984d0302.png

This is with v9, so not sure if that's changing anything.  Or perhaps your texture map files are causing the issue?  Can you share your maps that caused this problem in a simple file like this?  Maybe if more than 1 of us can recreate the problem, it will be easier for Tech to fix.

Since I do not want to start a new thread, I post my observation here:

It may happen that for certain materials in the «Preview» of FormZ the orientation of the texture does not match the render result of Vray.
A screenshot is attached for explanation.

ScreenshotVray.thumb.png.a366b60db30919791eee581419b08518.png

Edited by AHDD Designer

Here is the basics of my problem which is erratic at best.  It is worth noting that my issue is only in Shaded and Full shaded mode.  The maps always appear correctly in my render.  

I create a material in either the Renderzone slot or Shaded slot that easily loads the texture map and then I add the bump map in the same area.  I switch over to the V-ray slot (generic)  and adjust the reflections and bump parameters.  The material is applied to my geometry using the paint bucket obviously (shaded mode).  Sometimes the material appears on the geometry, sometimes it doesn't.  Some days I start the program and the maps are there,  some days they aren't.  Two days ago I discovered that if I eliminate the bump map  my textures magically appear on the geometry.  Whoo hoo problem solved.  Yesterday I opened the model and the maps disappeared again.  So I checked my material and the bump map was back on two of my materials.  Now that makes me think that either someone is breaking into my office at night and messing with me or I might have a ghost in the machine.  I know some of you might think I am just getting senile  but my wife tells me that only happens when she tells me what to do.

17 hours ago, Andrew West said:

Now that makes me think that either someone is breaking into my office at night and messing with me or I might have a ghost in the machine.  I know some of you might think I am just getting senile  but my wife tells me that only happens when she tells me what to do

😂