AutoDesSys

Logitech MX3 mouse Zoom option

kim

The Logitech MX3 mouse has the scroll wheel which is great for scrolling the palette windows.  Unfortunately it also zooms the main window.  Is there a method for turning off the zoom function on the scroll window but keep the scrolling capability for the palette windows?

If you turn off the scroll wheel in the modeling window, how do you efficiently navigate the scene? 

Scroll to Zoom and CTRL+Right Click+Drag are essential for navigation in formZ and I can't imagine working without it.  Just curious how you are working so that we might learn something new.

Cheers.

I am not efficient with the mouse.  For the last 20 years I have used Wacom tablets.  Unfortunately FZ9.5 does not play nice with the Wacom tablet due to the design of the new Palette window.  Once I work out how to work with the mouse I will let you know.  I find the scroll wheel uncontrollable.  I would use it to scroll the palette window and then move it over the modeling window and poof the scroll action sends the window to either max zoom in or out depending which way I scrolled.

Using a Wacom Cintiq with formZ is a unique and pleasant experience I have also enjoyed.  Not long term, but I have worked with other designers who used it for many many years with formZ.  It feels more like painting, which is a nice change of pace.  Not sure I could do it all day every day though.

I'm also not sure why v8.5 or the just released v9 wouldn't work as well as earlier versions, but perhaps Tech can shed some light there?  You have a 2 button Wacom Stylus, which can scroll, but perhaps you're looking for more?

With regards to the mouse, Is this the mouse you are using? - https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master-3?crid=7

I haven't used that one yet, but I suspect like many new 'Infinite Scroll' mice, the issue is with the speed of the free scrolling wheel.  Magspeed scroll wheel is supposed to allow slow scrolling 'line by line' with a click feeling, and then faster infinite scrolling, automatically.  Can you slowly scroll the mouse and feel it 'step'?

I suspect your Scroll settings are turned up too High (Sensitivity and/or Speed).  Not sure which OS you are on, but Using Windows, MacOS, or the installed Logitech Software, you can turn the scroll speed down so that slowly scrolling (zooming) in the formZ modeling window will result in very controlled 'step' zoom.  Ideally, so that each felt 'step' of the scroll wheel results in a similar 'step' for zooming in formZ.  This makes it very easy and intuitive to navigate formZ with the zooming scroll wheel.  This is my setting in W10:

image.png.fac76f2bd39a480848a4ec2c3ef7af32.png

I've helped many other designers get this set up correctly in formZ.  Particularly troubling is the stupid Mac touch mouse that tries to scroll with it's own reckless abandon at variable speeds, which is incredibly annoying and impercise to use in formZ.  Still, I realize that everyone likes different things and that's what gives the world it's flavor.  I think if you try mine, you'll love the intuitive accuracy of the Step Zoom Scrolling while navigating the viewport in formZ.  Combined with CTRL+Right Click drag to rotate view is all I ever need while modeling very accurately (Please use SNAPS while modeling EVERYONE).  

Hope this helps!

Edited by Justin Montoya

Hi Justin,

This is great information.  I used to use the Wacom tablet not the clintiq.  My Process was to hold the pencil in my right hand and use the left hand on the keyboard using quick keys. To select tools and navigate around pretty quickly.  I never used the Wacom buttons or disk as that meant taking my hand off the keyboard and I found it slowed me down.  The Wacom tablet replaced a Logitech MX3 mouse (must have been the first one to come out in 2004 :-)).  I have set up the old mouse and to Logitechs credit the latest driver actually drives it.  But my mouse is a predated version of the step scrolling. You are correct about the scroll speeds, but I have dropped them all the way down.  But I cannot get used to scrolling for zoom or using the scroll wheel to navigate.  

What device are you using to zoom around the fZ space?

Hi Kim,

It sounds like you may need a new mouse that has step scrolling if you want to efficiently navigate formZ as I described.  But before you do, some Logitech mice have the ability to turn on step vs smooth scrolling via a switch or button on the bottom or top of the mouse.  Not sure which you have, but it's worth checking before you buy a new one.

For Zooming around the fZ space, I've been using the Logitech MX 620 mouse for probably 10+ years.  I've bought 3 of them over that time as they eventually just get clicked out with all this darn work people ask for.  :)

If you're looking for a new mouse for your MacOS device, I'd recommend a Logitech one with step scrolling capabilities.  Logitech keeps the best up to date drivers for MacOS.  Which model is a very personal preference.  There's large, to small, vertical, track balls, laser, optical, wireless, wired... etc.  With a huge range of cost differences too.  I'd expect to pay $50 or more for a decent mouse these days though, and I prefer Optical or Laser with a long life so not changing or recharging batteries constantly.  Bluetooth mice tend to eat batteries much faster than the Logitech wireless dongle.  I also need 6+ mouse buttons.  Left,Right,Middle click are all used in formZ.  Plus Forward and Backward for navigating websites and folders quicker. AND a button dedicated to Mission Control (Task View on Windows 10), Which makes it a simple click to quickly change between program windows, or other open programs like Photoshop.

Hope this helps!  Cheers!

I also use a Logitech, but I prefer the system extension SteerMouse to modify it's behavior.   Originally got it, because Logitech did not support the specific mouse I was using on the Mac.   Don't even recall if my current mouse is supported.

10 Buttons  (not including the scroll click and the 3 that are on the scroll wheel(never use those))   G700s

The only thing I do not like about this mouse, is it is a bit small for my hands.  so I enbiggend it.  Looks like crap, but it fits my gorilla sized hands.

http://www.plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/download.php

Edited by Chris lund

My MX3 mouse does have the button that turns the scroll wheel into a step scroller, but I think the step gears must be worn out. Justin, I can see why you are using the Logitech MX 620 mouse, the forward backward buttons are positioned in the correct place and not behind the finger.  The G700 looks like it could handle the modeling environment, I am surprise that logitech software is not sufficient for it on the mac. 

What is interesting is that you are all using the mouse and that it has not been replaced by the trackpad or the spacemouse which if I understand correctly only operates navigation vs data entry?

The MX ergo is high on my list for the same reason that Hugo has one.  I end up doing a lot of work in tight spaces.  Many years ago I used to use the trackball but am a little concerned if I will be able to fine movements with the trackball all day without destroying my thumb joints :-).  But the G700 looks like it could speed up my work flow (if I can remember which functions are in which buttons). 

Many thanks for all your input.  It has been tremendously helpful in my decision making.

Glad it's helping.

Looking through the new formZ documentation, shown here- http://www.formz.com/manuals/formz9/formZ_Pro/WebHelp/formzpro.htm#t=01020_View_navigation_and_control.html

This may help you get used to using the mouse for navigation:

Navigation using mouse buttons

There are a number of default shortcuts using the mouse buttons:

Scroll wheel/ball: Zooms the current view in or out at the cursor location as the wheel/ball is moved.

Double click middle button (scroll wheel/ ball): Fits all the visible objects of the project in the window.

Command/ctrl key + double click middle button (scroll wheel/ ball): Fits all the picked entities of the project in the window.

Click and drag middle button (scroll wheel/ ball): Interactively pans (drags) the view following the position of the cursor on the screen.

Command/ctrl key + right button: Interactively spins the view following the position of the cursor on the screen.

Thanks Justin for the link and for laying out the guidelines for using a mouse as a navigation tool.

Hugo, I am blown away that you can get to use the trackpad in your left hand and the mouse in your right.  If you don't mind me asking how do you enter data such as dimensions or text?  Do you have the keyboard positioned between the trackpad and the mouse?

Thank you both for speeding up my learning curve!