AutoDesSys

Procedural weathering for large structures?

-andrew-

Hi everyone-

I realize there are a few subforums here for rendering (and I have both Maxwell and Thea) but wanted to ask here because of the nature of the question, especially because I don't know if either has a solution...

Basically, I'm hoping to find some method of realistically weathering large-scale materials, for now specifically concrete and other building materials.

The idea is that I'd like to "apply" weathering to large structures without having repeats in the texture.

post-9294-0-75725800-1481118153_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew

I would approach it in two ways if you are using Maxwell to render.  First is to download or create some very large grunge maps.  There are a lot available if you search.   Then use Maxwells ability to layer dirt maps and corrosion by assigning different levels to each layer.  Once you have something fairly convincing I would leave the rest of the dirt for post processing in Photoshop, again using large grunge brushes.  I have brush sets that range from wet footprints and water damage to tire tracks and drips.  In Photoshop to make them convincing I often use a drop shadow effect for depth.  Lots of tutorials online on how to do dirt.

Hi, and a belated thanks...

Out of curiosity - is there a tutorial for getting 3DCoat-painted objects into 3DC then back out ot FZ for rendering with Thea?

I was going to recommend 3dCoat... but I see you already found a good solution there with Leaks PBR. Cheers! 3d Coat is a great companion for FZ.

Archived