AutoDesSys

FormZ Free extrude a profile along a path ?

eselick

Hi 

I'm trying to learn some critical skills in this my first few days of FormZ.

Is it possible with the free version to extrude a 3D profile along a curved or multi segment line?

Example would be fancy window molding or muntins, or fancy Victorian wooden trim under the soffits of a gable dormer.

I believe what I have in mind would require 2 curves, one would be the profile to extrude, the other would be the path along which to extrude it. I've tried the Extrude tool without much success so far but maybe I'm doing something wrong.. 

Detailed steps would really be appreciated. 

Thanks

Elliot

Hi Elliot,

Yes, as Des notes, the Free version contains a limited tool set, and the Sweep tool is only included with the Jr and Pro versions of formZ, not the Free version.  Perhaps you could do multiple extrudes to get what you want, but if you need this kind of functionality, you should probably check out the Trial version of one of the more advanced programs that we offer.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help.

Hi 

I've decided to not go any further with my evaluation of FormZ Free. I don't need NURBS. but I do need something that easily extrude profiles and that's a deal breaker for me.

I thought I'd give you a bit of honest feedback. Maybe it will help the decision makers at AutoDesSys to reconsider what is included in the Fee version and also how the training and installation materials are put together.

I went from FormZ to Rhino to Sketchup which I've used since the very first versions came out.  I'm not an architect, but I have been paid by architects to develop their Sketchup models using only the features available in the free version.. I've used it extensively over the years for house and furniture modeling so I believe my opinion should carry some weight.

I can only guess that the decision to release a free version was based on a desire to capture a portion of the Sketchup Make market. in my opinion, unfortunately your product does not compete and the installation and evaluation of product features has left me a bit confused.

You must believe that many users of the FormZ Free will choose to upgrade when they realize how limited the free product is. But why should they when a vast majority of them are not architects and Make is free and gets the job done.

The same thought occurs to me when I watch the learning videos which really seem targeted to the pro versions.  Probably this was not your intent, but the viewer has to decide to upgrade or else he/she have wasted their time by learning about tools that don't exist in their version of the product. Again, I don't think most of them will choose to upgrade. In any case, why not have a separate Youtube channel for the free version? That would be a huge help and cut down on the confusion and wasted time for the people who do decide to stick with the product.

I'm very motivated and more knowledgeable about computers than most of the designers and architects who will download the FormZ Free package. Maybe the installation work seamlessly on a Mac but it was terrible on my Windows 10 laptop and most people would have just given up after experiencing the problems I had.

SketchUp Make has issues, it's messy but if something doesn't work quite the way you want, there's a good chance that a cheap or free plugin is available to fix the problem. And the fact that it now has a huge community who are using the free versions means that a lot more people are buying the pro version for many different reasons that I can only guess at. It seems to be the 3D standard and surely that must have a commercial value.

I really believe a much more powerful free version of FormZ with great documentation would blow away the Sketchup market but you can't be cheap about what's included. I'm sure you can figure out what features to only include in the pro version. For example you could encourage third party plugin development for the free version and make the plugin compiler part of the pro version. Perhaps the layout features could be a pro feature as in Sketchup. Maybe leave out the NURBS tools. Anyway you guys are smart enough to figure out a more inviting approach that would make everyone want to grab a copy of FormZ Free..

I wish you luck and I'm hoping that you will release a much improved and more powerful FormZ free.

Let me know when it comes out and I'll evaluate it.

Thanks again for the help,

Elliot

it should be noted that Trimble  http://www.trimble.com/Our_Product/products_main.aspx    is a behemoth that ostensibly does not rely on it's Sketchup Business to keep the company afloat.

Sketchup looks to be more of a hobby for them, much like it was when Google had it.

ADS, while could probably trounce sketchup in that freeloaders marketplace, but then again, what would that do to their actual business.    Running free software would have to be a challenging decision of where to draw the line.   Everybody will want that 1 little extra thing.

Besides, I as a Pro user can keep them busy with everything that I want   :P

Elliot, why don't you "evaluate" FormZPro? Then if you like, buy it.

Whether SU is better or worse to model in, that is not the point, the point is, a huge majority of SU models are terrible. Is that the fault of the users or the software?

FormZ Free is limited, but it has to be. With saying that, I have completed many projects in it.

For total 3d modelling power though, FormZPro is the only way to go if you are really serious.

Archived