AutoDesSys

3 point circle and rectangle drawing tool locks reference plane

ktejlgaard

I was using the 3 point circle tool all the time in formZ 6.5.
And very important the tools ability to draw a circle on any plane the was defined by the three points snapped to.
Now in 8.5 it locks the reference plane at the first click and my work-around it is to define the plane beforehand.
I always saw it as a strength for this tool that established the plane on its own, since the geometry is defined by three points.
I am now doing double the work, and no matter what key I hit or f5 its stuck on lock reference plane.

Is there a way to enable the 3-point-circle tool and the 3-point-rectangle tool not to draw the second and third point on

the reference plane locked by the first click, but be able to snap anywhere in the model?

Ok I just noticed the same annoying problem with the arc tool!
I want to be able to snap to a point that is not on the reference plane locked by the first point/click of using the tool.

How do I get rid of that annoying lock-refence-plane?!

Drawing tools that create geometry drawn by three points should be able to establish their own plane through those three points.
What am I missing? -please help!

Just closed 8.5 to work in 6.5 else i won't be able to keep my deadlines if i have to establish a reference plane before i draw.

Tech, can you then please fix the problem with the cursor in FormZ6.5 that appears when running mac OS El-Capitan.
Wich was my primary reason for updating to FormZ 8.5
It seems that I have to do my modelling in 6.5 so that would be nice....

Dear Ktejlgaard,

Yes, it is expected that these tools would draw on the active reference plane, and you should currently define the desired reference plane before drawing the shape.  We see the benefit of allowing the drawing of the 3 point circle or arc to define the plane and we will see if that can be adjusted for the future.

ok, so leaves me modelling in 6.5 (which would make it really nice with an el-capitan upgrade so that the cursor works properly)

The only problem is that the lock-reference-bottom can't be un-enabled while using the tools. (or at least have the possibility of overwritng the snap by writing the coordinates of the points, like in the old days!)

I can easily see all the new features in 8.5 and that is become easier and more intuitive.
But I have modeled, design planned, made construction drawings and build several projects using FormZ 6.5 (imagegoogle: "Kristoffer tejlgaard")
And it seems to me that all the new easiness-features are coming at a cost of oldschool, hardcore precision modelling!

Is there a developer at FormZ I could talk to on skype?
Im one of the last architects/builders in Denmark using FormZ,
and I would hate to leave the software because of a loss in the tools needed to production-precision modelling.

Im building a lot of un-ortogonal buildings and have always had an advantage in FormZ over Autocad/Revit,

but it seems the advantage is disappearing and I would love to give you feedback from somebody who is building what he is drawing

and is pushing the technology on what can be build without being Frank Gehry with his own software

Hi Kristoffer,

We understand your point about being able to draw a rectangle on any plane that has not been pre-defined.  Are there any other issues you wish us to consider for the future?  It could be possible to find a time where you could Skype, but that would take some time to schedule.  If you have any other issues, if you can simply describe them like you did this one (and your first post was more than enough in this case) then we can consider those too... ;)

Regarding "the problem with the cursor with formZ 6.5 on El Capitan" we are not sure what you mean.  That old version is not supported on such a new operating system, but just so we understand, what is not working as you would like there?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi im back again... and again I must express how awesome it is that you are "listening", tech.
I think we can save the skype meeting for later, therefor I have listed some things that I think could be addressed :

- The 3-point circle/rectangel we talked about, being able to un-lock the reference plane

- The possibility to write simple math in the prompt ex. 3207,34mm/2 ( distance /2 or +2 or x2 or -2) Illustrator has this functionality and it saves time.

- Toggle layers more snappy, it takes a lot longer to turn layers of and on in the new formZ
- Scale parts of object (face,segment) with the measure tool. (absolutely awesome that you have made it possible to scale with the measure tool.
- Assigning material density to materials, makes it easier to work weight. in stead of only being able to assign it to an object measure.
- The possibility to use the "project" tool on smooth objects without the projected geometri becoming facettet
- In formZ 6.5 the cursor lost its ability to turn white/bright on dark backgrounds with the el capitan update for mac

- I have attached a photo of a face-meet-tool that i have dreamt about for a long time
- grasshopper plugin for formz (of course, and I know its not on your table only)
- UV maps, did the "bake uv map" disappear? Really need to be able to create proper UV maps for texturing 

I have to say thumbs up for the new interface, its way more intuitive, and the are many really well thought new features!
I have only worked with it a short time now but I would love to catch up in future when i have used it extensively

Best Regards
Kristoffer

post-16872-0-49924600-1455289305_thumb.jpg

Kristoffer, good list...

Just thought I'd mention that the "render texture" tool is very handy (in reference to your "bake uv map" point).

It's in the Rendering/Animation workspace or if you're using the modelling workspace, hit space bar > hit R (all the tools starting with R show up) where you'll find it.

Des

Archived