AutoDesSys

Material Editor Woes

DMclean

I have a project which was imported from a VFX supplier with very large UV mapped textures lots of 2K, 4K, and even a few 8K. I'm just doing a bit of retexturing, so for the most part I am just working directly on their texture files and then reloading the image via Material Editor. I'm finding response times in Material Editor so sluggish that it is almost useless.

One material is a relatively simple RGB Color with a bump map for texture. When I select one of the Tabs - Color, Reflection, Transparency, or Bump it takes over a minute for the tab to become active and refresh the preview box. Pretty much unworkable.

If I select the color chip and bring up the color picker and choose a new color it takes over a minute and a half for the new picked color to be reflected in the main window WorkingGL. Then , that color doesn't seem to "take" and clicking anywhere else on the screen causes a new color to be selected in the color picker. Which means I have to wait a minute and a half before I can do anything else.

A bit frustrating to say the least.

Any thoughts?

Doug

I feel for you Doug.

I posted elsewhere that FormZ has to up it's game with it's texture handling in another thread. 4-16k maps are now the norm and not just in VFX but also in high end archviz too.

Once V-Ray comes to FormZ they'll be a solution, as V-Ray handles large texture maps with ease and also works with UDIM's and Ptex (my prefered route rather than giant maps).

If Thea was more robust rather than an early beta that would be an option too. ;)

Archived