AutoDesSys

How to derive boundary of irregular surface

mattedmonds

Duplicate all objects and ghost originals

Project tool all to XY plane

Object doctor to remove all coplanar segments to make each a single flat face

Derive (extrude) 3D objects from all objects so they are taller than the originals

Use intersection tool between each pair of original and new derived 3d objects to get a clean pair of lines from which to run your sweeps

I just did an experiment, and the following worked which didn't seem too tedious - once I discovered the successful method.

Screenshot 1. Produced a 3d shape containing different elevations, with straight, radiused and curved edges, and used area pick faces, copy and paste into new file. [xy plane active]

Screenshot 2. Delete any unwanted segments by area and individual pick as required. 

Screenshot 3. When satisfied select all, edit 'join'. 

Draw kerb profile.

Screenshot 4. Axial sweep by first point [as positioned didn't work]. However, the profile is not as expected, it is inverted. I had tried various experiments with select first point, edit axis, nurbs tools etc, none of which were successful.

Screenshot 5. SUCCESS!

This is what worked: Edit segment tools - break segment; Derive tools - derive segments, shift-click the segment nearest the kerb profile first, followed by the second, click to finish and use it as the axial sweep profile using 'as positioned'.

Copy and paste the result into original file. [xy plane active]

I think the crucial factor which makes this not-too-tedious is the ability to select all segments required at once, join to make one object then break that into 2 objects with the line edit break tool before selecting with the derive segments tool which sets the direction for the axial sweep. Using a new file to do the work in helps too.

As an observation, the video on axial sweep shows sweeping to create a 3d shape on a 2d plane only, it is good that FormZ is capable of sweeping along a 3d path and even better, from existing 3d geometry relatively easily.

post-242-0-59486200-1445754309_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-34728200-1445754379_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-17962600-1445754452_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-64615500-1445761126_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-94837100-1445761542_thumb.jpg

Use the Pick tool to select the desired sequence, and then use the Derive Segment with Join option...

That should be super quick and easy, no?  How is that tedious?

Thats how I've done it in the past, but was hoping there would be a better tool.

For now, I consider that my fallback approach... and looking for something a little less tedious. 

Cheers.

(Did you use the Segment Sequence topo / part level?)

Archived