AutoDesSys

better underlay tool, anytime?

3dworks

it may sound rude, but it is a pain to use the current underlay tool. yet we have to use it quite frequently, at least here in my workflow. this was promised to be improved a long time a go, but to my disappointment, 8.5 does not improve this tool by any terms - yet many users requested this.

if only the old pylon plugin was functional, i would not complain, but since we cannot use it anymore this anymore we have no choice than loose hours of our precious time by fiddling around with numbers to position and scale an underlay correctly to an existing drawing. would it be so difficult to make this tool interactive, by the means that an underlay would be aligned with a few mouseclicks?

this is certainly a candidate for the next lab tool, what do you think? ...or maybe a reedition of pylons excellent tools would be possible? i would pay for an upgrade just to get those interactive underlay functions back.

markus

Uh, Markus, are you aware you can use the Measure tool to measure -- and then scale your Underlay?

And the Edit Reference Plane tools affect the Underlay too.  

If you are aware of those, I don't know why it is so slow for you.  5 second setup for me...

measure tool still needs numerical input. trial and error: type, correct, type again etc. pylons tool was totally mouse  based, not sure if you ever used it? there's still a screenshot here. the 'generate texture plane' function was the icing on the cake.

http://prvt.formz.com/images/products/plugins/third_party/pylon/pylon_viewsnav_interfaces.jpg

Wow the Pylon Tool looks fabulous. Wish I had known about it when I was using the old versions of Z . I always found underlay cumbersome to use as well. Still do, so now most of the time I wind up just creating a billboard, sizing it properly and then locking it. Not as usedul as a true I delay, but less hassle to size properly. Would love to see underlay working with that Pylon Plug in. I too would pay for that.

Doug

Archived